Metal Ties & Twisting Tool

Discussion in 'Professional Fireworks' started by Chesterfield Fireworks, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Chesterfield Fireworks

Chesterfield Fireworks Pro Firer/Crew

Does anyone regularly use metal ties for securing "things" and can recommend a supplier for both the metal ties in varying lengths and the twisting tool please :)

2. oldgit

oldgit Pro Firer/Crew

No and no.
    But I know in the steel reinforcing world where these are used they are called loop ties and the tying tool.
    eg here

3. Chesterfield Fireworks

Cheers!

(cable ties and lance rope don't make for a long term relationship!)

4. Signum

Signum Pro Firer/Crew

Is that the G_Force stuff Stu? We had the same last November, quick dash to B&Q for a reel of metal garden twine got us out of a pickle.....like the tool idea tho :)

5. Chesterfield Fireworks

it's very similar stuff....

First time I've used it, I expected the "flare" to come out of the ends if the tube rather than a hole on the actual face of the tube :)

6. elmo

elmo Pro Firer/Crew

@oldgit is right stu, the best place is your local steel/ concrete prefab company. you may have to buy the ties in bulk but they last forever.
    ive tried various methods but this is by far the best

7. Chesterfield Fireworks

The ties with loops on the end look ok far candles etc but I suspect using plain wire and a variation on the tool might be better for attaching larger shell tubes etc?

[​IMG]

8. Alpha

Alpha Pro Firer/Crew

9. elmo

elmo Pro Firer/Crew

the one alpha shows is the one to go for, different length ties are available at minimal cost.

10. Chesterfield Fireworks

I was just wondering about securing single tubes, however at 600mm those longer ties will do upto 150mm tubes :)

11. elmo

elmo Pro Firer/Crew

perfect, and when they are tied up there are no sharp cut ends to cut legs open as you rig or poke eyes as you derig;)

12. Chesterfield Fireworks

I shall be ordering some and having a play :)

13. irvimic

irvimic Pro Firer/Crew

Have you looked at metal cable ties? HellermannTyton do a few ranges and some are about 6-700mm long they have been tested for off shore work I recall

14. Chesterfield Fireworks

I haven't, I was just aware that a few companies use metal wire/ties rather than "normal" cable ties for securing items :)

15. pyrobrit

pyrobrit Pro Firer/Crew

For securing single tubes we use jubilee clips. You can by them in huge diameter and we use them for securing 6, 8 and 12 inch tubes.
    We use a cordless drill with a 7mm hex head fitted for tightening up on site. Very cheap and very reusable as they are stainless steel. Just make sure your cordless drill is charged as doing them up with a screwdriver is hard work.

The best suppliers are companies who supply air conditioning products as they hold them in stock.

16. Andy_P

Andy_P Pro Firer/Crew

@Alpha... I must be being thick, but I can't work out how these work at all! The site you mentioned has these:

[​IMG]
    these:
    [​IMG]
    and these:
    [​IMG]

I can see how the last one would pull into a tighter circle, (But it's obviously far too small!), but can't work out what you do with the others to make a loop.
    What am I missing?

17. elmo

elmo Pro Firer/Crew

The first picture andy is just how the individual ties come.they have a thin strand of wire through the loop at either end just to keep them together..
    Pull a tie off the retaining wires , wrap it round the candle/tube then around the rack/frame/stake then put both loops over the hook on the puller tool and pull to tighten.
    Don't overtighten candles causing the tube to compress and constrict the shot (its easily done)
    I've probably made it sound harder than it actualy is.

18. oldgit

oldgit Pro Firer/Crew

The tool is like one of those yankee spiral screwdrivers except you pull to twist the wire and it has a hook not a screw bit
    edit - so it's nothing like a yankee screwdriver really!

19. Arthur

Arthur Pro Firer/Crew

These loop ties can pull up very tightly, In fire rope this is not a problem, BUT on launch tubes like roman candles it's possible to crush the tube and stop the later stars travelling freely.
    Loop ties work, but use care.

20. irvimic

irvimic Pro Firer/Crew