Meteor shower

Discussion in 'Non-Pyro chat' started by elmo, Aug 12, 2018.

1. elmo

elmo Pro Firer/Crew

should be a good Perseid Meteor Shower tonight, early hours if your lucky enough to have clear skies?
    @ambientskies ??

ambientskies and Pyro Pete like this.
  2. Pyro Pete

Pyro Pete Forum Editor

Thanks for the heads up, forgot all about this, cloudy here now but will check in the middle of the night :)

elmo likes this.
  3. Pyromania

Pyromania Pro Firer/Crew

4. Pyro Pete

Pyro Pete Forum Editor

Cloudy at 2am and 3am... didn’t see a thing.

5. ambientskies

ambientskies Pro Firer/Crew Supports UKFR

We’re at Dingli Cliffs in Malta, stayed until 2am after finding a spot without car headlights as the Event is a big thing here. Maybe 50+ with about 10 slow ones. Insects and clouds took the night though...

elmo and Pyro Pete like this.
  6. Cullann

Cullann Pro Firer/Crew

My app says the peak is tonight, on the 14th. Which should be cloud free, hopefully also insect free.

7. Cullann

Cullann Pro Firer/Crew

Yep, clear skies here. Seen about a dozen in the last half hour, many with nice fluffy trails. And one that was just like a bright star appearing and disappearing, so I can only assume that if it had fallen to earth it would have hit me smack between the eyes.
    Also saw an anti-meteor - an invisible black streak that momentarily blotted out a few stars.
    Which turned out to be a bat.

8. ambientskies

ambientskies Pro Firer/Crew Supports UKFR

It might have been a Flare...

9. Cullann

Cullann Pro Firer/Crew

I suppose an irridium flare would be the prosaic explanation....but I prefer to think of it as cosmic target practise....I've always harboured a romantic longing to be the first person on earth to be fatally struck by a meteor.... don't destroy my dream!

ambientskies likes this.
  10. Pyro Pete

Pyro Pete Forum Editor

Apparently someone in India died in 2016, but NASA debunked it saying it looked like a ground-based explosion rather than a meteor. So your dream lives on!