Military pyrotechnics by fireworks companies.

Discussion in 'Fireworks Nostalgia, Collectables And History' started by tigbrand, Apr 19, 2019.

1. tigbrand

tigbrand Supports UKFR

I thought I would get the ball rolling by posting a couple of pics of flares. All items in my collection are inert. The red star is 1"( 4 Bore) cartridge filled by Standard in 1941,the empty cartridge would have been supplied from elsewhere.Nice with its closing cap.
    The Green star dated 1943 is I believe filled by Wilders by need confirmation as 2" mortar Para Illuminating bombs in my collection are marked W F Ltd. I have owned a lot of 2" bombs filled by them. Any pics showing the factory filling such things would be amazing to see!
    Will add more to this as time allows as I have a few bits. IMG_20190417_210537.jpg IMG_20190417_211029.jpg IMG_20190417_211029.jpg

standard steve, Escht, TONYB and 4 others like this.
  2. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

Think J W & S is by Joseph Wells and Sons, not Wilders.

fozzboy likes this.
  3. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

Here is an advert from 1938 from C T Brocks advertising a whole range of training items.........
    1939 brocks arp training562.jpg

4. tigbrand

tigbrand Supports UKFR

Cheers Kev, that's even better than Wilders, as I already know they make military flares. That means the MKIII case I've attached a pic of marked JW, is by Wells. This cartridge is circa 1900. Also attached is a pic of a rare 1.5" cartridge for aircraft signalling. Marked Wilders and dated 1918.

Attached Files:

standard steve likes this.
  5. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

You've some nice stuff there,
    i need to look through my files as I used to get a lot of old flares etc many years ago, fired but in good condition...before I caught the vintage pyro bug.......
    Look forward to seeing what else you have..........

6. tigbrand

tigbrand Supports UKFR

Time for a few more Items some early bits here and one for some help with. I will post each one with its description as i seemed to double post before!

7. tigbrand

tigbrand Supports UKFR

IMG_20190502_200023.jpg IMG_20190502_200054.jpg First is a British army Red star with its original card liner, this is pre 1900 and has the rim milled all round for night identification

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    Sparkler, scoops and Escht like this.
  8. tigbrand

tigbrand Supports UKFR

IMG_20190502_200247.jpg IMG_20190502_200216.jpg
    Pic 2 is a MKIV white star by James Pain and son with a half milled rim for night identification, this is pre WW1.

Escht likes this.
  9. tigbrand

tigbrand Supports UKFR

IMG_20190502_200422.jpg IMG_20190502_200331.jpg Next is a Pains commercial cartridge not sure of date but may still be a WW1 contract, should be marked V to base if military, in military usage a smooth rim denote green star for night ID

Sparkler and Escht like this.
  10. tigbrand

tigbrand Supports UKFR

IMG_20190502_200612.jpg IMG_20190502_200535.jpg This is an aluminium cased L series 1" flare, I have lots of variations of these, most being filled by Goverment ordnance factories not firework companies, Chorley in Lancashire was the most common, with Radway green a close second. this L5A2 cartridge has a filling monogram of S Q which I believe is Sanquar?? If so who was running the factory at that date? Any extra info etc welcome, lots more to come when I have time.Cheers Tig.

11. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

That would be Brocks up at Sanquhar at that time.

12. tigbrand

tigbrand Supports UKFR

Cheers for that Kev, I found a pic of an army smoke grenade of similar date with the top of the fuze stamped brocks.

13. Mystic Juggler

Mystic Juggler Supports UKFR

On my search this evening i found this, ill stick it in my other thread on Wilders but thought suited here as well. Not my image, it was on a council site for last years November period. Poster-of-the-Fireworks-D5296-3-2-pt..jpg

Peter Mackett likes this.