More Items Burnt

Discussion in 'Fireworks Nostalgia, Collectables And History' started by fozzboy, Aug 29, 2019.

1. fozzboy

fozzboy Supports UKFR

Just had a friend call me , he said a mate of his had found some old fireworks at his Grans old house , I said great what is there ?, then he informs me one of the great grand children had tried to light them , they didn't work very well so he threw them all on the fire !!!!... He didn't really know what was there they said Rockets , a round one with a Chicken on it and 10 bangers red and white Guy Fawkes Bomb on them ... Such a shame what goes to waste

2. TONYB

TONYB Supports UKFR

the bangers could of been from wilders
    WILDERS (2).JPG

fozzboy likes this.
  3. fozzboy

fozzboy Supports UKFR

Looks like it probably was ...

4. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

WILDERS 1d GUY FAWKES BOMB.JPG

fozzboy likes this.
  5. Arthur

Arthur Pro Firer/Crew

Sadly this is probably the fate of most historic fireworks. Once the present custodian approaches the "house clearing" time of or after life then the clearance companies will simply see "dangerous article" to be disposed of and a fire is likely the cheapest way. No museum wants lives as exhibits because that introduces lots of extra hazards and regulations.

fozzboy likes this.
  6. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

Luckily there are still a fair few collectors around, quite a few youngsters who will carry on preserving what they can........ long term the answer will probably have to be items being emptied of powder content with obvious proof that this has been done.............. stuff is turning up from the 1930's and 50's now, more than I've seen in a long while......... most people see anything old as having value and most will try to find a way to turn old items into cash....... impossible to save it all but managing to save some of it.

fozzboy likes this.
  7. fozzboy

fozzboy Supports UKFR

Yes Kev, I am hopeful more will be coming my way ...

8. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

Reminds me of the woman two years ago who came into our shop and chuckled as she said "we#ve had to come here coz my dad said he already had loads of fireworks but they were from the sixties and didn't fly well so in the bin they went". The look of horror on her face when I said she threw a lot of money's worth of stuff away. She was shocked that anyone would collect such things so I directed her to this forum and a few collector sites. When I asked if they were still in the biin she said "no, this was last week before the bin men came". Ignorrance and fear borne through ignorrance is more often to blame for the disposal of old fireworks in my opinion.

fozzboy likes this.
  9. fozzboy

fozzboy Supports UKFR

It's sad this is happening all to often... I wonder how much is being destroyed

10. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

Lots........ from the amount of times I've not got to stuff before it was destroyed I would say definately more than I've managed to save over the years.......... I know of 3 large lots from old shops that were destroyed on the advice of the Fire Brigade. One large quantity of 50's selection boxes by on site elfin safety......... numerous householders binning stuff down the skips when clearing out a relatives home and in last couple of years 3 different house clearance companies either binning in skips at local tips or letting everything off bar a few bits for a bit of fun ( which I did get ). On the plus side it shows that it is still possible to find old pyro....... just need a lot of hard work and even more luck..........

11. hofnerite

hofnerite UKFR Stash Photo 2018 Winner! Supports UKFR

Thing is, if the world was awash with lots of old pyro, it would lose its appeal. The more that gets burnt, the more appealing collecting is!

pablo and Pablos pyro like this.
  12. Arthur

Arthur Pro Firer/Crew

I've heard before of people dying, leaving some old fireworks in their house and this causing the police or fire service to get them properly destroyed.

While there is a lot of interest among us in old fireworks, any one of us could research the old companies -of which there were hundreds, and write a history and deposit it in a local library, or in The British Library.