more pathe films of firework making

Discussion in 'Fireworks Nostalgia, Collectables And History' started by Mystic Juggler, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Arthur

Arthur Pro Firer/Crew

2. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

3. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

Bentonite wasn't really something Standard used much of if at all. I would say it's delay mix. The traditional candles used something called 'green mix' between the shots instead of the chinese visco dragon method or the felt wad and spollette or time fuse the europeans use. Green mix was all the components of BP roughly mixed up with a higher fuel to oxidizer ratio. No milling, corning, granulating like fast BP. Just a nice steadily slow burning powder. I'd hazard a guess that the light coloured powder is the delay but it could easily be, as you say, bentonite or fine sawdust as an inert representation of the loading stages. Maybe they didn't want to be loading live in front of a TV crew? It certainly aint "gunpowder". Hate it when people just refer to everything in fireworks as "gunpowder".

The small cylniders could be hummers, whistle units, crackers, spinners, tourbillions, anything really. Though not seeing any sort of passfire to transmit fire from the delay, past the unit and into the lift.

I could go on about the many many errors of the uninitiated narator.

Also, that bloke doing the test fires. Was that really how it was done? Really? I mean look at the methodology there. Chuck a few bits out. Set 'em all off at once. Don't even look at them. Just scribble. It was all for the camera I bet.

Still great to watch though.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  4. Arthur

Arthur Pro Firer/Crew

With youtube there are issues with "how TO make fireworks" as it could be seen as promoting illegal actions. "How they did make fireworks" is sometimes blurred or bits omitted to stop people making fireworks from YT's instructions.

5. If you look at our main site Brocksfireworks.com and take a look at the moving images you will find 5 films all Brocks The last couple silent and the very first firing system.....Bit like FireOne

6. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

There still seems to some very comprehensive 'how to's' on YT. Never thought they'd allow it. Ned Gorski's entire Fireworking 101 is there for all to see. So too are many other, well researched turorials. I don't think they are practicing what they preach in terms of censorship. Plenty of horrible 'snuff' videos too. Well off topic...

7. Done Fettling

Done Fettling Supports UKFR

8. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

Done Fettling and Jamie Thornton like this.
  9. Lovely stuff, thanks for posting these videos, very interesting.

10. Richard Lane

Richard Lane Supports UKFR

Love the Classic Brocks ones ..lt make you realise how time consuming..labour intensive firework making was / is in those times....not changed all that much...when you look at the Chinese factory methods of today...sure better machine processes in Time terms but the finishing mostly needs to be by hand.

Done Fettling likes this.
  11. They had class and character Richard that was the difference, they were actually made with real enthusiasm and heart and soul, can't really say the same about todays sadly.

Done Fettling likes this.
  12. Richard Lane

Richard Lane Supports UKFR