More Starlink

Discussion in 'Non-Pyro chat' started by Pyro Pete, Mar 31, 2020.

1. hofnerite

hofnerite UKFR Stash Photo 2018 Winner! Supports UKFR

Just saw the starlink spacecraft and payload go over I think. Looked like the ISS.

2. Pyro Pete

Pyro Pete Forum Editor

Wow!! Watched the launch live and 15 mins later there it is (very bright, you couldn’t miss it, and it looked like a rectangle which was all the satellites in a bunch), it was on the Heaven’s Above app as “Starlink 6 placeholder”.

3. PyroAsh

PyroAsh Pro Firer/Crew

Yeah, saw it too. Very bright!

4. blackbat

blackbat Pro Firer/Crew Supports UKFR

Yep - saw it. Bright as the ISS (which is over North America right now)

5. Pyro Pete

Pyro Pete Forum Editor

We’re not sure whether it seeming to have a shape was real or we imagined it, did anyone else notice that?

6. blackbat

blackbat Pro Firer/Crew Supports UKFR

7. hofnerite

Saw three shooting stars, the starlink craft, a load of satellites and a hedgehog whilst reclining in my camping chair.
    Just needed a fire, some whiskey and a fat cigar. :)

Daveandkate and Pyro Pete like this.
  8. Saw falcon 9 and the trailing array clearly in very light conditions, was very impressive!

9. PyroAsh

PyroAsh Pro Firer/Crew

Not sure how genuine this is. But if you turn up your brightness, you can see some kind of laser guidance.

I thought they were all traveling the same way at the moment. Didn't know any had actually crossed paths yet?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  10. hofnerite

Definitely fake!

Pyro Pete and PyroAsh like this.
  11. Pyro Pete

Pyro Pete Forum Editor

None of the many Starlinks shown on the tracking app do anything other than track west to east at the moment so as @hofnerite says it looks a bit fake.

BTW there's a shedload of these going over tonight and some of them look quite bright.

Though to some extent the novelty is wearing off now ;) I actually can remember the 70s when we all stood out to try and see Skylab, it was like "Woah, you mean there's actually something up there you can watch go over?".

hofnerite likes this.
  12. hofnerite

Well I've seen that Julie Doorne is on the case and sharing a Change.org petition against Starlink!
    You couldn't make it up! :D:p

13. Pyro Pete

Pyro Pete Forum Editor

Really? Not sure if you're jesting. What's her objection, are they bothering her dogs?

14. hofnerite

Honestly! There's a link to the petition at the bottom.
    doorne.png

Dayle Ward likes this.
  15. gareth71

gareth71 Pro Firer/Crew

I bet Julie (hello! I'm sure you'll be reading this at some point...) has been out setting fire to 5G masts as well...

blackbat likes this.
  16. RocketRev

RocketRev Moderator Supports UKFR

I'd be very worried if it's genuine. If I've remembered what I learnt at school correctly, you see light beams because there are particles, like dust or water vapour, in the path of the light, scattering and reflecting some of the light. If the Starlinks are as high as I thought they were, then there'd be nothing to scatter any laser light to make visible beams. If there are genuinely lasers in use between them and we can see the beams, then it'd suggest the satellites are rather low - like in the upper atmosphere and in danger of doing a re-entry, scattering bits all over the place. At bit too low for comfort and safety.

hofnerite likes this.
  17. elmo

elmo Pro Firer/Crew

And she created this petition on the internet, the very thing these satellites are set to improve
    Oh the irony :rolleyes:

18. scoops

scoops Pro Firer/Crew

She really is a key board warrior, how on earth do people end up like that! F me I’d never get off the keyboard if I wrote about everything that pisses me off

RCT likes this.
  19. gareth71

gareth71 Pro Firer/Crew

You do :). Light only becomes visible when it hits something - a surface, the hazy air created artificially in a theatre, clouds, etc. I can't fault your logic questioning how we could see any sort of laser emission passing from one Starlink to another without anything atmospheric to bounce off.

20. hofnerite

Even if it was visible, to see the beam at that kind of distance would mean it have to be, what, 300m wide? Maybe more!