Most recent nostalgic bits picked up

Discussion in 'Fireworks Nostalgia, Collectables And History' started by Shanepyromad, Aug 16, 2020.

1. Shanepyromad

Shanepyromad Supports UKFR

Managed to add some more items to my collection my first esco box which has some lovely items in never had esco as a kid as it was before my time I think

Attached Files:

2. I had lots of Esco fireworks over the years, they imported some great stuff!

Shanepyromad likes this.
  3. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew Supports UKFR

Let me guess, you have loads of burnt ones in your shed?

Shanepyromad likes this.
  4. Shanepyromad

Some more items added to my banger and rocket collection along with a nice un opened packet of standard bazooka airbombs :)
    Some of my favourite pocket money fireworks as a kid

Attached Files:

5. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew Supports UKFR

Awesome stuff mate. Exactly my era too. I remember first clapping eyes on the Bazookas and simply had to buy a pack. Roughly £3.50 I think. It was my entire week's pocket money but I had to have them. I was astonished to see the strange pink/red visco fuse. My first visco encounter AND, it was going into the side at the bottom of the tube. I was perplexed. All other air bombs I ever had were the blue touchpaper type with a fountain start.

Those Banshee rockets are also from Malaysia, same as the Bazooka. Unfortunately, although I rated the Bazookas, I found the Malaysian Banshee rockets to be inferior to their original blue touchpaper ones.

Esco Star Explorer rockets used to be an all time fave of mine. 12 in a pack for about £1.99. They shot off quite high and released a single coloured star. I have a confession to make here. I bought two packs of these off Kev. I was ecstatic to finally, after all these years, to have not one but two packs in my hands. One night I got merry on rum and decided it was the perfect wintry conditions for fireworks yet I had none to let off. And then, I remembered. I tormented myself by fighting the urge to let even just one of them off for this would be breaking the law of the collector. A few rums later I'd let the lot off. All two packs. And, I bloody loved every second of it. For one night, I got to relive my childhood. Some of them flew a it unpredictably but most performed just as I remember them. OI have a video of a couple on an old phone. I'll upload it when I get round to fixing the broken screen on it.

6. Shanepyromad

Brilliant story mate that’s what all this collecting is about the reminiscing of the times gone by as a kid when fireworks were actually good I fired a few small whistling rockets of various brands from the 90s era last November 5th and they all performed well abit Smokey tho I actually got the explorers etc from kev aswell not seen another pack anywhere so had to snap them up

7. Pyro Ed

Pyro Ed Pro Firer/Crew

These seem to come up a lot. There must have been a huge amount of stock sent into the wild when it was all banned, as its always exactly the same group of stuff!

Shanepyromad likes this.
  8. Shanepyromad

Yes there is loads of it out there
    it does seem that way! Ive picked up a good few half cases of the same kinda stuff recently I suppose rather then be destroyed people
    Brought up what they could?

Pyro Ed likes this.
  9. Shanepyromad

A few more selection boxes for the ever growing collection 2 octavious hunt boxes the smaller square one is alot older and has got some very well made early kimbolton items in
    Also an esco box only recently started collecting this brand

Attached Files:

BarnOwl, Pyro Pete and dcossi1 like this.
  10. BarnOwl

BarnOwl Supports UKFR

Very nice @Shanepyromad. That Standard fountain surprise was a good piece. Very apt name for it with its hidden reports.

Shanepyromad likes this.
  11. Shanepyromad

I’ve never seen one fired what is it a mine? It does say fountain and Roman candle

12. BarnOwl

BarnOwl Supports UKFR

Ahh just looking again at your label it’s a slightly later version. The original was a fountain with a salute/report at the end.

A724FE5D-F870-43AF-98A1-496AB7C836B1.jpeg

WR3_Pyro likes this.
  13. Shanepyromad

Oooh that is nice version you have

BarnOwl likes this.
  14. BarnOwl

BarnOwl Supports UKFR

Thanks. Yes in the 90's Standard did dozens of cakes/RCB's etc. Their larger display packs where literally full of them. Only a few of those seemingly appeared as single/loose items in their retail and collection brochures. This fountain Surprise was one such piece, it occasionally appears in one of their packs like their famous 'Blenheim' one.. but not to my knowledge shown or sold in one of their retail brochures?
    Obviously could be proved wrong here by someone more knowledgeable on Standard than me...

Shanepyromad likes this.
  15. Shanepyromad

A few more items added to my collection today some early Astra And cosmic items along with some golden lion flying eagle rockets

Attached Files:

16. BarnOwl

BarnOwl Supports UKFR

Some really nice additions there @Shanepyromad
    Anything Golden Lion brand is and will be highly collectible...

Shanepyromad likes this.
  17. Shanepyromad

The golden lion pyro is very sparse on the ground I must say I do try and snap up anything that does become available

jww likes this.
  18. BarnOwl

BarnOwl Supports UKFR

Yes It seems to have got even rarer these last couple of years. Not many people parting with it, so worth snapping up for sure when it comes along.

19. jww

jww Supports UKFR

I recall that the quality of Golden Lion was astonishingly high - every aspect from the finish to the packaging to the performance - think I've got one or three bits in the collection if memory serves - will have to check when a second presents itself ! J.

Shanepyromad and BarnOwl like this.
  20. BarnOwl

BarnOwl Supports UKFR

Yes absolutely, It was Cosmic at their finest.
    GL likely deserve their own individual thread for what people still have of theirs...