Mr Sparkle Factory made Dummy Boxes

Discussion in 'Fireworks Nostalgia, Collectables And History' started by Escht, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

A couple of Mr Sparkle Dummy Display Boxes made by Standard Fireworks for Octavius Hunt....... just original Standard items with different coloured inks used at time of printing..............

IMG_8659.JPG IMG_8661.JPG

2. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

and a still sealed box of live items
    IMG_8616.JPG

3. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

You certainly have the touch for finding all these gems. Amazing how much stuff must be just sitting about out there...somewhere...behind cupboards and god knows where else.

A lady came into our shop this year and mentioned (in a half laughing tone) "my dad said he had loads of fireworks and not to bother buying any. They were all from the seventies and after one took off sideways I threw them all in the bin and so here we are buying new ones". My heart sank and so I told her she has just thrown away something collectors would pay good money for and would be preserved as part of our history. When I asked her if they were still in the bin she just sort of looked at me and after a long pause said "no".

So glad there are folks like you trying to save all this stuff and it still amazes me how much keeps being found.

Richard Lane likes this.
  4. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

I hear stories all the time about old fireworks being either binned or set off.......... guess we can't save it all.
    To be fair a big chunk of what I have had in last year is from a one off firework wholesalers clearance done by a third party........... I've just been lucky enough to buy a lot of it in bulk.......... once the latest lot is moved on things will go back to something like normal with just the odd small groups of stuff being rescued. I have no doubt there is still a lot out there its just a case of finding it.

5. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

Have unsealed the Mr Sparkle Galaxy Selection box , to reveal the contents
    IMG_8673.JPG IMG_8672.JPG

6. I Actually prefer these to the standard versions :rolleyes:

7. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

I'd have loved to have been there and taken in that scent of freshly opened box of Standard.

8. Pyro Ed

Pyro Ed Pro Firer/Crew

30 years on they still pretty much smell the exact same!

Method likes this.
  9. Love the box design, especially the skyline. Is there any mention of Standard on the labels?

10. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

Nothing at all
    Just says Distributed by Octavius Hunt . Bristol

11. Richard Lane

Richard Lane Supports UKFR

Kev you know I know you know about the stuff … We've both been in the collecting game for years .... like many others.... and it always amazes me how these items crop up from time to time searching junk shops church halls and anywhere that could yield a Pyro find our targets… But just occasionally you find a new source out of the blue… One of my best discoveries was a couple of years ago in London via a solicitor who is acting on behalf of a deceased client and they release bits and pieces from time to time which I find frustrating in the extreme but patience brings its own rewards and I have sourced several Brocks items all of which I've posted on the forum. We keep plodding along and it is the consistency of continually searching that eventually brings results. More power to all of us to carry out the good work!

Duskyfuse likes this.
  12. BarnOwl

BarnOwl Supports UKFR

For years my Dad seemingly had an endless supply of those rockets which he used to fetch down from his wardrobe every so often.

13. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

and it's precisely people like your Dad, ( but who never quite got around to clearing their stash ), who provide us with the small number of finds that crop up from time to time.
    I get asked many times why these old items survive in the first place..... I do ask the people who have them how come after all these years they still have them. I know in my case I never managed to save anything as a kid,
    Answers I get
    Weather was bad on bonfire night so we didn't do them, got put away for next year and forgotten about.......
    Misbehaved so as punishment they got put away and forgotten about
    Had so many that we never got round to letting everything off.
    Never knew they were there until we cleared the house out.
    Broke the sticks on the bigger rockets so couldn't sell them, meant to get replacement sticks but never quite got round to doing it, so put away and forgotten about
    Shop closed, got rid of most of the stock but couldn't sell the fireworks as wrong time of the year, put away for our own use but never really liked fireworks so got forgotten about until at later date their houses get cleared.
    Collected many of items from my childhood, part of the collection being a few fireworks.
    Found them whilst at work and kept them to play with but never quite got around to doing it.
    I think one of the main reasons for the survivors is people thought after a year they wouldn't work, rather than take the risk they would buy new the following year and just didn't bother to go up in the loft to retrieve them. Over time they would just forget about them.
    Also I can well remember bonfire night just being bonfire night, unless a Sunday in which case it would be Saturday..... it really was something of a special day and somehow even a day either side didn't feel right. Small fire, guy, few fireworks, baked potaoes, tomato soup in a mug and hot dogs........ best night of the year, even better than Christmas Eve

14. Exactly this.. :cool:

15. Richard Lane

IMG_2445.JPG IMG_2446.JPG IMG_2447.JPG IMG_2448.JPG
    I have a little story of one of my finds.
    This Wessex wheel was unearthed in a village Church hall.Apparently its was unused as part of a firework display on a Bonfire night back in the early 60's.It was unused and discovered at the end and put away 'To be used next year'!
    It was the current Vicar who dug it up and sold it to me.I was told by him that they had had a big clearout and it showed up then.
    God be praised!

16. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

Imagine if the vicar never knew that these things are so treasured. I often imagine how many treasures are simply skipped and sent to landfill by unthinking wastaholics. Had a few folks over the past come into the shop and tell stories of when they discovered their dad's or grandad's old fireworks and just threw them away after lighting one or two and they didn't live up to expectations. Absolutely criminal. They all left the shop a little wiser after I expressed my horror and mentioned their value. Some lady two years ago just came in to tell us this very story and didn't even buy any new fireworks. She just thought she'd ''pop in and let us know''. I sent her back home to retreive them from the bin but she never returned. No idea if she dug them back out or if they just went to the tip. Shocking.

17. Richard Lane

He knew a little about values! It certainly wasn't a 'steal'!:rolleyes: But I agree there are ..every year ..loads of stuff that goes to landfill by virtue of the fact that people simply don't know the worth of what they have.
    And therein lies a problem..if people know the value of say..pyro...the prices will shoot up...which collectors would be keen to discourage..on the other hand if the values are not known the risk is they will be tipped.
    I've found over many years of collecting pyro that 'you win some ,,you loose some'..and by and large it's a fair balance

Pyro Ed likes this.