NEC value per GBP

Discussion in 'Fireworks Forum Chat And Discussion' started by Sonicfx, Nov 20, 2020 at 3:47 PM.

1. So this is something I've started coming across when watching firework reviews.

For example a selection box will have 100 grams NEC and priced at £5, which equates to 20 grams of NEC per £1.

What's a good value of NEC per £ to keep in mind when looking at fireworks?

2. So.. I have this conversation often with people as I’m a bit of an NEC junkie

Some brands like Klasek will give you a crazy amount of NEC for your money and a huge amount per shot. e.g Signature 25 is about 725g for 25 shots - mental

However, NEC isn’t the be all end all, there’s cakes from Celtic which have less NEC than some Klasek pieces however still appear to have bigger breaks due to quality, composition, effect type etc

Generally, you’re going to get good value from the enthusiast brands whatever the product is - Celtic, Klasek, Primed, Epic (Vivid, Funke also look good but not fired myself).

To answer your question more directly though, I expect to pay £50-60 for a 900g+ cake and use it as my own personal benchmark if looking at high end items

SilberWirbel likes this.
  3. The same selection boxes over the last few years have the same number and type of items but with reducing NEC to avoid price increases.

No names but this example in 2017 = 551g, 2018/19 = 518g, 2020 = 507g.

No different from those tins of sweets - an old Roses tin will take 4 of the current ones to fill it.

Paul pyro and SilberWirbel like this.
  4. I appreciate that fireworks have other attributes besides NEC. But when watching review videos the reviewer will often comment "500g NEC for £20, that's really good".

So I wanted to know what's considered good value, why is 500g for £20 good?

The example you've provided appears to be around 20g per GBP, so would I be correct in saying that 20g and over per GBP is good value?

I got some Black Saturn rockets, 250g NEC for £10 = 25g per £1, so I would say that's good.

5. hofnerite

hofnerite UKFR Stash Photo 2018 Winner! Supports UKFR

Depends what the item is. If you think it's good value for money then buy it. The ratio doesn't really work across the board.

Perception affects price just as much as the NEC. Just look at the difference in cost between a 25 shot fanned cake and a 25 shot fanned dump cake. Same cake, same NEC, only difference is the duration, big difference in cost because the general public perceive duration to be value for money.

He's another example- if you want maximum NEC for your money, buy a fountain!

6. Physics question too, is there a better quality of chemical; Can you get the same effect with a lower NEC if you use a higher grade/quality of chemical? A bit like the difference in chemicals that they use in good/bad AA batteries etc.

7. Rob perry

Rob perry Supports UKFR

People do get too hung up on nec. It's like the 1.3/1.4 debate really and can depend on manufacturer, item ect as said already. Nec has become a focus point of people as they feel like they have a good deal if their item has a higher nec. I would expect to pay £70-£100 for a 1000g premium nec 100 shot item (single ofcorse) but you also seem to pay less for a 1000g 50 shot item. Best advice is if you like the look of it get it! Someone said earlier on in the year the highest nec is in a sparkler :p

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020 at 6:24 PM
  8. WR3_Pyro

WR3_Pyro Supports UKFR

I have made a spreadsheet which works out how much I’m paying vs NEC. Some products come out high NEC per £ some woefully low. But have to take Into consideration lower noise stuff is more expensive e.g fireflies, and fanned effects etc!

NEC isn’t the be all and end all, and will only form part of my decision making but none the less I still consider it as a metric, along with shot count and bore size etc. I wouldn’t be without my trusty spreadsheet now :D

9. maxywell

maxywell Supports UKFR

Higher shot count means more tubes and fuse too so it would be difficult to compare different bore sizes. £80 per 1000g seems to be the norm.

10. AngryAndyPandy

AngryAndyPandy Celtic Whore Supports UKFR

I need to see this spreadsheet. Glad to see I'm not the only one who does this. :chair:

WR3_Pyro likes this.
  11. I think NEC makes much more of a difference in single fountains and garden selection boxes which are mostly fountains. Ie if you have a 20 piece box with 200g NEC, thats £20, those fountains won't last long and you're paying a lot for them. Whereas if you have a 20 piece box, thats £20, but with 350g NEC, you'll get better duration from the fountains and likely (as a general rule, of course not always) better value for money. Same goes for comparing single fountains of the same type

SilberWirbel likes this.