New Year's Resolutions

Discussion in 'Non-Pyro chat' started by Pyro Pete, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Pyro Pete

Pyro Pete Forum Editor

So here are mine for 2019:

• To drink more, as I have been too teetotal for too long and it's boring now
    • To put on all the weight I lost dieting in the last 6 months, as it's cheaper than buying new clothes
    • To bury my head in the sand as much as possible as this has proved a superb and effective coping strategy
    • To burn more bridges, ideally before I get to them
    • To ban more people on the forum, because I enjoy the dopamine hit from the abuse of power

How about yours? :cool:

2. RocketRev

RocketRev Moderator Supports UKFR

I think I'd better start with:
    • To watch Pyro Pete's back when he gets a different sort of "hit" from his power play.
    Then:
    • To drink whisky faster than I and kind donors seem to be adding it to my collection. It's cheaper than buying more cupboards to store it in.
    • To get back to healthier eating after all the chocolate and cake of Christmas. I've got to be in good shape for the next Chocolate Season aka Easter.
    • To enjoy photography projects planned for Las Fallas, airshows and firework displays this year.
    • To try the "iron fist" approach when appropriate - a breakdown last year suggests a change of coping strategy from the "kid glove" approach for health reasons.
    :angel:

3. off topic but that seems to be "the" phrase of 2018. like about five years ago everyone was saying "it's my ocd". is funny how medical terms enter common langauge. https://www.theguardian.com/technol...got-us-hooked-on-tech-facebook-apps-addiction

now people are talking about the "dopamine hit!" Facebook like? Dopamine hit. Finding your lost favourite jumper? dopamine hit! Getting a sweet a parking space at sainsburies? that's a dopamine hit right there!!! :D :D

ah, i am being light hearted of course. but it's funny how these phrase just sort of appear in our langauge. New word enters our vocab? That's a dopamine hit right there!! :D

4. Pyro Pete

Pyro Pete Forum Editor

You're right @Fireworks Nick it's the self-help fad of the moment. Sort your dopamine hits out to get control of your life. It's a bit snappier than the last fad, mindfulness :)

Fireworks Nick likes this.
  5. Oh gosh yes, mindfulness was soooooo 2015!!! :D

6. Air Bomb King

Air Bomb King Lord Of Noise Supports UKFR

To finally get back to the gym and, unlike in the past, actually pay some attention to cardio instead of exclusively weights/strength training!

7. I need to lose 3 Pounds. Sadly true.

8. Pyro Pete

Pyro Pete Forum Editor

For those dieting, I lost a lot of weight by simply not eating after 6pm. I mean no calories, not switching to beer at 6pm ;)

It was as effective as alternate day fasting and much easier. I've a few friends trying it too with similar results.

Bucksend likes this.
  9. It's a good idea- have a nice dinner (tea/supper call it what you will) and then stop eating. I have a lifelong habit of eating right before bed, which isn't clever. :-/

10. hofnerite

hofnerite UKFR Stash Photo 2018 Winner! Supports UKFR

I agree with that. I lost the best part of 10kg last year by cutting out booze and not eating anything in the evenings. I slept better and woke up feeling good too.

11. My problem with that is I'm a night owl!

Fireworks Nick and Duskyfuse like this.
  12. me too! I think the "cut off" point needs to be in sensible proportion to your bedtime- like 4 hours before?

says me, as i polish off the last slice of Goodfellas vegan pizza!!! :D

Firework Crazy likes this.
  13. Pyro Pete

Pyro Pete Forum Editor

Well try 9pm first. Then 8pm after a month, then 7pm etc. I started at 7pm initially and it felt impossible but after a few weeks got used to it. Four months later and I could easily cut off at 4pm. If you're going to bed a little hungry it's a good sign. Give yourself a day off a week also.

Fireworks Nick and Bucksend like this.
  14. For what it's worth , i'd say the same for going vegetarian and then veagn in the long run for weight loss/control. ie not eating after 9pm is a clear boundry, as is not eating meat. then it time the not eating after 4pm is like not eating dairy etc. once you are in the habit, it feels normal.

i think the tricky thing is social situations, likehaving to eg turn down a slice of birthday cake because its not vegan / after 6pm etc.

but yep, for those considered weight loss/diet control these are good methods

15. Exbombhead

Exbombhead Pro Firer/Crew Supports UKFR

I’ve quit smoking (trying to at least) and promised myself I will lose weight this year!!!

I’ve been on the Keto diet since 2nd Jan and so far lost just over 1stone. It’s strict and a bit of a mind boggler to start with but it’s certainly one of the better diets I’ve tried. If nothing else, I recommend watching The Magic Pill on Netflix. It is a real eye opener.

16. that's impressive a stone in 2 weeks.

17. Astonishing, especially when you are trying to give up smoking as well.. :cool:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019 at 10:26 PM