Old Standard Shells

Discussion in 'Fireworks Nostalgia, Collectables And History' started by pyromatt1987, Aug 11, 2014.

1. pyromatt1987

pyromatt1987 Pro Firer/Crew Supports UKFR

I was just wondering what years shells were banned to the public? I can't remember (I was born in 1987) ;)
    what it is... ive found some and they have consumer labels on them stating 25 meter safety distance etc and they have BS7114 1988 on them so they aren't any older than 1988, im wondering how old they are??? I will try and upload a picture

2. DannyB

DannyB Pro Firer/Crew

1997 was the shell ban.

3. pyromatt1987

Here's a pic of them. Any ideas on age?

Attached Files:

forrest and Pyro Pete like this.
  4. Illusion Fireworks

Illusion Fireworks Pro Firer/Crew

Lovely find :)

@DannyB have you got a picture of one of those 'inert' category 3 salute shells with PIC?

5. Jamie Thornton

Jamie Thornton Supports UKFR

Some serious pyro there mate, are they the ones made by standard because i think by the early nineties they imported them.

6. Pyro Pete

Pyro Pete Forum Editor

Nice find, never thought I'd see shells with Cat 3 on them again!! :)

7. blackbat

blackbat Pro Firer/Crew Supports UKFR

They say "made in China" on them...

8. Jamie Thornton

Jamie Thornton Supports UKFR

Yeah thought so, it is the time the chinese invasion started.

9. DannyB

DannyB Pro Firer/Crew

@Masterchief not sure, I'll have a look. If not I can probably take one ;)

Masterchief likes this.
  10. RocketRev

RocketRev Moderator Supports UKFR

Ah.... that 3rd picture takes me back to the days of hot firing shells. The "before re-loading...." bit of the instructions. I used to watch that at close quarters in big Local Authority displays when I was a youngster. Not something that'd be accepted in such displays these days.

11. Sparkler

Sparkler Supports UKFR

How did these shells compare with the rockets of nowadays?

12. Pyro Pete

Pyro Pete Forum Editor

There's little difference between the smaller calibre shells and good rockets. The difference was always price - to get the same effect in a rocket costs so much more (as you're paying for a stick, motor and case to take the effect up) plus shells had almost zero fall out. We wouldn't have so many humongous £30 rockets these days if shells were still available to consumers :)

13. Sparkler

Sparkler Supports UKFR

I never got to see these consumer shells and I guess at the time the performance of them would have been a lot better than the rockets of the day, they must have been really good if the compare with today's good rockets and without the fall out

14. blackbat

The shells of yesteryear weren't cheap (to me), but then I was at school at the time! I once saved up £4 for a standard maroon shell when I was about 15 (in the days when fireworks were for sale to over 14s and if you were a tall 13 year old you could get away with it :) )

15. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

One like this maybe ?
    IMG_1012.JPG

16. blackbat

Sadly not. Mine was more recent I suspect, circa 1980. Your photo is of a string bound (?) shell from maybe around 1970? I've only seen one of those before (at least I think it was the same), and the person who showed it to me reckoned it was quite rare.

Mine was self contained and sealed in its own mortar, maybe 14" long, with a length of PIC exiting from a small hole on the side to ignite it.

17. TLG

TLG Pro Firer/Crew

String bound maroons they were available into the 90's, as for the other shells the labels design is the same as the ones on Kimboltons shells.

18. I remember buying one of those SF string bound maroons at a sports shop in Manchester town centre in Late October 1985. It cost about a tenner. The shop had an amazing selection of Standard including their 4 inch ball shells. The maroon was made with black powder rather than flash and was a bit of a let down on the big night. Those were the days... Chris

19. pyromatt1987

I would like to try a couple but I don't want to destroy something that's rare :(

20. Sparkler

Sparkler Supports UKFR

Don't blame you for not wanting to let one off, was just interested if anyone remembered their performance