Old Technology - Blue Touchpaper

Discussion in 'Fireworks Nostalgia, Collectables And History' started by spectrum, Aug 30, 2014.

1. jww

jww

Just completed a "batch run" of 24 sheets of A4 BTP. Having established a baseline with previous efforts, just looking to address any "production" issues when doing a batch. Could be anything from variability of burn rate to improving the actual handling, drying etc. The recent hot weather was a bonus of course. Once I find another hour I'll update on "findings" :) I note some old pyro used the BTP paper minus the oxidizer for finishing the top part of the device. The BTP itself was used as expected. This gave a device with a large area of BTP colour at the top part - rather jolly. Think some mines were finished like this.

2. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

I think I know what you mean. Instead of the twisted stuff with fizzy KNO3, some devices had a flat covering of blue paper that did not fiizz? Just for the look. Think I recall seeing it once or twice. Perhaps on a bouquet of candles once...

3. Arthur

Arthur Pro Firer/Crew

There was a long period when Chinese factories used blue paper with visco in the middle, then the colour blue became just any colour -reds yellows etc, then even the representation of blue touch paper vanished.

4. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

Didn't Brock's Chinese stuff use blue tissue twisted with visco?

5. IMG_20190424_111430987.jpg

Amazing coincidence: here's some of the described fuse I found earlier, lurking in an old Bisto tin at the very back of my shed. A kind of instant ( but mostly crap ) selection box/tin

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  6. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

Think this box was from around 1993, some of the earliest of these had a mix of old style blue touch and the blue tissue paper with visco.

BROCKS INTERNATIONAL BLUE BOX CONTENTS.JPG

Peter Mackett likes this.
  7. Who were MSA fireworks?, never heard of them!

8. Jamie Thornton

Jamie Thornton Supports UKFR

Awful stuff:D.

standard steve likes this.
  9. Sounds like they didn't last very long then!

10. I can't recall where it came from or who MSA were. They're heavy pieces but I guess that's probably the clay

The Cosmic stuff came from a fair sized box. I like the Cosmic labels. I have the empty box somewhere :cool:

11. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

The MSA label names are more like Cat4 descriptions.

12. jww

jww

When referring to BTP colored paper I was really considering the style of finish on the - right hand of pic - mine here from a previously post. Sometimes the blue paper finish is a different shade to the actual fuse BTP. The "spout" - the little delay + fuse unit - a tiny tube with a sparky comp using in bangers - also shows this use of blue paper sometimes. Interesting. Clearly the labour and materials which moved a product from technically viable to ready for retail was very considerable and no doubt costly. JW.

[​IMG]

13. jww

jww

Demo of BTP on dummy items. Note that the dummies are built so they *CAN'T* be mistaken for the original article. They're also just empty cases as can be seen. Issues such as length of BTP ( how much on tube, how much above ) and various ways of finishing the paper by crimping up, winding up etc. still being investigated. WP_20190615_14_52_14_Pro.jpg

standard steve likes this.
  14. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

Brilliant.