Pain's and Pains-Wessex Fireworks (Updated)

Discussion in 'Fireworks Nostalgia, Collectables And History' started by Firefiend, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Firefiend

Firefiend Supports UKFR

I have updated the database of images with those kindly provided by members. I have also increased the size of all images to make them easier to view. In doing this I have shifted them on my OneDrive to make it much easier for me to make changes in future. Unfortunately the previous post will no longer allow me to edit the OneDrive link and so I have posted the details again below with the new link. I should not need to change this again.

I tried to produce a photo database of every Pain's and Pains-Wessex firework ever made including price variants. I'm sure it falls short of this, particularly with their very early fireworks but it is a good start. Some of the images leave a bit to be desired but they were the best I could find at the time and I have enlarged and cropped them as best as possible.

It would be amazing if all makes could be documented in this way but sadly I haven't got the time to deal with another make let alone them all!

The filename suffix indicates several items:
    The make (P = Pains / PW = Pains-Wessex)
    The factory location (M = Mitcham / S = Salisbury)
    The era as best as I can ascertain (2 = 1920s / 3 = 1930s, etc. - Sometimes this covers a period e.g. M3-5)

https://1drv.ms/f/s!ApoPX-954DWBgZAzzi2jNOEURcGC_Q

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    blackbat and TONYB like this.
  2. Do you have Magic Carpet?

Firefiend likes this.
  3. Firefiend

Firefiend Supports UKFR

No, I wish I did! lol
    I have one firework with a really terrible image labelled "Magic XXXXX (PW)". This could possibly be it. If you have a good image of one I'd be grateful if you could let me have it thanks.
    Magic XXXXX (PW).jpg

4. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

Hi Martin
    When I look at the file there are some showing as missing image.......... is this on the file or is my system not downloading them correctly........ one of which is a Tri Wheel......... if you need an image I have one in my box.........
    Kev

Firefiend likes this.
  5. Firefiend

Firefiend Supports UKFR

Hi Kev
    Missing Image is an image I placed in my file system where I have no image for a firework but know it exists. It has proved its worth as it sounds like you have located one!
    Thanks,
    Martin

6. Very good database and some great images. 2 nice ones I used to have were Pain’s Hydra Headed Comet and Pain’s Bengal Burster, both had great labels. Don’t have a picture unfortunately.

Firefiend likes this.
  7. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

Consider it found !
    PAINS WESSEX TRI WHEEL.JPG

8. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

Pains 6d Pin Wheel
    PAINS PINWHEEL 6d.JPG

and a 2d Pains Mt Vesuvius

pains 2d mt vesuvius.jpg

9. Firefiend

Firefiend Supports UKFR

Thanks Kev. Do you know whether the Pinwheel is Mitcham or Salisbury?

10. Firefiend

Firefiend Supports UKFR

All updated. Thanks to everyone for their help :)

11. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

Sorry Martin
    I don't know,.......... only have what you see in the picture to go on

Firefiend likes this.
  12. Hi Martin, Pin Wheel is from Mitcham factory I hope this helps

13. Firefiend

Firefiend Supports UKFR

Great thanks. I'll update the file. Based on that and the design I reckon it's 1960s...

14. TONYB

TONYB Supports UKFR

heres some wheels
    WP_20150202_010 (3).jpg WP_20150202_014 (2).jpg WP_20150202_026 (2).jpg WP_20150404_021 (2).jpg WP_20150819_003 (2).jpg

Joe Ciabatti, Firefiend and Sparkler like this.
  15. TONYB

TONYB Supports UKFR

16. Firefiend

Firefiend Supports UKFR

Brilliant thanks! I have added several new fireworks and improved the photo on a couple. Hopefully the database will be a source if interest for years to come. You are very welcome to take copies of it if you like but I will keep it available via my OneDrive.

Sorry to be a pain but if you do post any more Pain's, where possible please would you state whether it is Mitcham (sometimes shown as London) or Salisbury and the price where it is shown.

17. All i have is most of a label in an old scrap book that i have several old firework labels in,i can take a photo if you like as you can see most of it still.

18. Firefiend

Firefiend Supports UKFR

Thank you Peter

19. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

Don't know if you can lift any off this1934 price list I have on file.
    PAINS LIST TOP895.jpg PAINS LIST BOTTOM896.jpg pains  list 6    903.jpg

1934 is only from it being written on front cover, but the ref to 1933 at bottom of page probably means it is correct....
    1934 PAINS PRICE LIST994.jpg

If you want complete listings I do have them for this.......... let me know