Pain's and Pains-Wessex Fireworks (Updated)

Discussion in 'Fireworks Nostalgia, Collectables And History' started by Firefiend, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Richard Lane

Richard Lane Supports UKFR

Interesting re the wooden un turned handles in the above group photo...costs were having an effect.

Firefiend likes this.
  2. Firefiend

Firefiend Supports UKFR

Many thanks Kev. A few more photos for the collection. I had the photo of the box. These are in the separate 'Boxes' directory. I'm pretty certain I had the two rockets with broken sticks off you and I have repaired the sticks. You can see in my photos of them. It does involve a slight cut in the label but personally I prefer a rocket with an unbroken stick even if the label has a small cut. Pain;s hold-in-hand fireworks had simple wooden dowelling handles unlike the ornate ones found on other makes. Prior to this they were simply waxed crimped ends to hold. I suppose this was seen as improving safety standards at the time.

3. Richard Lane

Here's another for you Martin ..I'm sure you'll have this already..but you never know..R IMG_3890.JPG

Firefiend likes this.
  4. Firefiend

Firefiend Supports UKFR

Thanks Richard. I have got this and in my collection. I think a few were found... pretty good going for such an early firework.
    The only other wheel type firework I have found with a domed centre is a Wilder's Catherine Wheel from the 60s. I wonder if they did this so that it could be used as a Catherine Wheel or Group Spinner, possibly after spinners were banned.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  5. Richard Lane

Yes very very possibly......it makes you realise how limiting those HS bans were and largely fatuous..it predicated on the basis that people are intrinsically stupid and need protection from themselves..it's in fact more about settling objections from others..those who dissaprove of all fireworks.
    Some of the controls are sensible..but some not....

Firefiend likes this.
  6. Richard Lane

IMG_4968.JPG Maarten..another...?.R

Firefiend and Peter Mackett like this.
  7. Richard Lane

Forgive me ..I seem to have addressed you in the Dutch version ..or thereabouts!! Apologies!

Firefiend likes this.
  8. Firefiend

Firefiend Supports UKFR

Thanks for the rocket pic Richard... another addition! :)

Richard Lane likes this.
  9. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

Hi Martin
    Have a second variation on the Pains 1 1/2d Zing-Boom Banger for you,, have one without the Pat app for and also instructions in blue not red
    IMG_6866.JPG IMG_6867.JPG

10. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

also
    Pains 2d Cannon Crasher, much bigger banger than the 1 1/2d...... unfortunately label has some damage but it is better than not having one in my collection.

IMG_6870.JPG IMG_6871.JPG

11. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

Pains Little Terrors , don't think you have at least one of these, the 2 1/2d version, top one is unpriced......
    IMG_6872.JPG

12. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

here is a Pains Wessex Jumbo Jet, you only have Pains versions so far
    PAINS WESSEX JUMBO JET.JPG

Also have a Skyway Patrol Pains Wessex, you have just the label, if you want I can take photo of firework. Exactly same as the label with the orange band at top.
    Also can do a better image of the long Pains Wessex Surprise Roman Candle if you want one. Both items are in that Pains Wessex box in my collection.From same box there is a different price cade version of the Coloured Roman Candle as well........ will do photos later

13. Firefiend

Firefiend Supports UKFR

Thanks Kevin. This will help slowly improve the quality.

14. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

IMG_6874.JPG IMG_6873.JPG

Firefiend likes this.
  15. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

16. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

Hi Martin
    Where you have label only ref. do you want a firework ref. picture as well ?

Richard Lane likes this.
  17. Firefiend

Firefiend Supports UKFR

Yes, that would be really good Kev. I substituted labels where I had no photo of the firework. In hindsight I'll keep both as the label has much detail.

Richard Lane likes this.
  18. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

Ok
    As and when I come across them I will put picture up.
    There are a few pics above for you to be going on with.
    I have a lot of files that only have img. label as I never got around to naming them, will keep checking through those in case anything else....
    Kev

Firefiend and Richard Lane like this.
  19. Firefiend

Firefiend Supports UKFR

Thank you.

20. Firefiend

Firefiend Supports UKFR

Thanks Kev. All updated, The Little Terrors are interesting. I had the 2d version which was Mitcham. The 2.5d then was what I call Salisbury (S1) and the unpriced would have been Salisbury (S2), which was from the time when all other fireworks had coloured price codes.