Pain's and Pains-Wessex Fireworks (Updated)

Discussion in 'Fireworks Nostalgia, Collectables And History' started by Firefiend, Feb 11, 2018.

1. There were two sizes of Thunderbolt Bombardment.Your pictured one was the smaller of the two. I remember as a child the larger one was red and at least treble the size! Hopefully someone will turn up a photo one day.

Firefiend likes this.
  2. Firefiend

Firefiend Supports UKFR

I think this might be another version of the Thunderbolt Bombardment. It was produced by Pain's whilst at Salisbury during the period 1969 to 1973. I cannot be certain as the label is a little unclear. Is this the one you were searching for?
    The one I previously posted is on the right and was made by Pains-Wessex during the period 1974-76...
    zUnknown (P-S2) (1).jpg Thunderbolt Bombardment (PW).jpg

Richard Lane likes this.
  3. Firefiend

Firefiend Supports UKFR

I am still adding many items (especially brochures and price lists) to the Pain's database on my one-drive which is free to access by all. Please can anyone positively identify the following three fireworks? They were all made at the time Pain's were colour coding their fireworks (but not necessarily the larger items). I think this was during the period 1969 to 1973.
    zUnknown (P-S2) (1).jpg zUnknown (P-S2) (2).jpg zUnknown (P-S2) (3).jpg

Richard Lane likes this.
  4. Richard Lane

Richard Lane Supports UKFR

IMG_3001.JPG IMG_3003.JPG IMG_3004.JPG IMG_3005.JPG Martin..Hi..
    Attached Pains batteries...I completely overlooked these previously...apologies...thought that they must've been sent to you already.
    I think there may be some ' new' ones amongst this little lot...
    Martin..I can send individual shots if these would help..let me know...
    Best
    Richard

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  5. Firefiend

Firefiend Supports UKFR

Wow!! What an amazing collection. Thanks very much for uploading these photos. Please could you let me know the names in the order shown in the group photos as I can't quite make them out.

6. Richard Lane

Ok chap..I'll do it when I get home ..it'll be a pleasure!
    Richard

Firefiend likes this.
  7. Thank you that Thunderbolt Bombardment may well be the one it certainly looks somewhat larger

Richard Lane and Firefiend like this.
  8. Richard Lane

IMG_5219.JPG IMG_5220.JPG Martin..Herewith the better details of the bombards...sorry it's been tardy...been frantic recently!
    Best..Richard

9. Firefiend

Firefiend Supports UKFR

Thanks very much Richard :)

10. I hope it's OK to post in an old thread (only on page 2 though) but I'd like to say thanks to Firefiend (and other members who've contributed images) for making such a fantastic resource available publicly. I've loved the artwork on Pain's fireworks (the later ones especially) ever since seeing them in Mark Fleming's "Firework Art" book - they have a really artistic feel to them as well as being colourful, evocative and fun!

Before looking at your gallery I had no idea Pain's made so many different fireworks at this period, or that there were so many variations, in the actual size and dimensions of the firework as well as the labelling. The Aerial Bomb Thrower seems to exist in about 4 different sizes, one of which looks more like a typical roman candle (tall + thin) than an "air bomb" type.

Firefiend likes this.
  11. Firefiend

Firefiend Supports UKFR

You are very welcome e_pinniger. I think this sort of thing should be shared, as with our history. Have you seen my advert website: http://www.firework-ads.co.uk/

e_pinniger likes this.
  12. Thanks for the link, I wasn't aware of this site before - I'll definitely enjoy looking at it. The pre-war material is fascinating, it's interesting how some of the display "set pieces" like the Devil amongst the Tailors survived right up to the end of British firework manufacturing.

It's a pity Mark Fleming's www.firework-art.co.uk site isn't available any more, glad I bought the book when I did!

(Edit: Just found you can still access the Firework Art site via the Internet Archive "wayback machine" https://web.archive.org/web/20120217181942/http://www.firework-art.co.uk/ . A lot of the site is missing however, both pages and images)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    Firefiend likes this.
  13. Wished I could've bought the Firework Art book when I had the chance. Huge regret.

Firefiend likes this.
  14. Firefiend

Firefiend Supports UKFR

15. Richard Lane

Glad I got mine some years agoo_O

Firefiend likes this.
  16. Glad i got mine when it first came out!

Firefiend likes this.
  17. Must look in the loft, I did have 2 copies some years back

18. Same here I got 2 copies.