Rainbow fireworks

Discussion in 'Fireworks Nostalgia, Collectables And History' started by Mystic Juggler, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Hi i brought a Rainbow fireworks printing block 10 plus years ago, maybe from one the forums members through ebay, i am hoping someone on here has a picture or copy of an original image so that i could see what the original colours were. I have made a copy of it in black but it doesn't do it justice. I guess that it dates to the early 60's but willing to be corrected. It measures 19cm x 13cm
    thanks
    Grahame
    DSC_7147.JPG DSC_7145.JPG

2. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

I can put colour to Emerald Spray 4d, Chrysanthenum Fountain 3d, rainbow contents111.jpg

Rainbow No.9 banger
    RAINBOW NO9 1d BANGER.JPG

Tiny Terror banger
    rainbow bangers157.jpg

My guess is that it was for an advert and as such will be black ink printing very similar to what you have already done, not many of their adverts have been found and all those in Martins site are just black ink printing........... but above should put colour onto a few bits for you.
    Kevin

3. Thanks for the pic's Kevin
    It was a thought that i had that maybe it was for a newspaper advert but then i thought it may have been a box top given the rectangular space in the centre which could have been for pricing. I made this copy using poster paint which isnt as good as using oil paints which give a more even coverage and do not dry for ages. If i had some time to waste i could colour it using the original fireworks as a reference point, the oils would be ideal for this.
    Do you know when did the Rainbow brand disappeared?
    Grahame

4. Rainbow fireworks were taken over by Astra 1973/4 and for only a year issued their fireworks bearing both names Astra-Rainbow of which I have some. They were sold locally where I am and I can remember them in the shop. I don’t think an Astra-Rainbow box was ever printed though. I have quite a lot of Rainbow fireworks as they hold childhood memories, but in reality they were pretty crap. Nice labels though, especially the later ones. Here’s a few in the picture

Attached Files:

5. I have to disagree as i always liked Rainbow Fireworks and although it was only a relatively small range they did make some great fireworks, i bought them regularly until they stopped making them and i remember the short-lived Astra-Rainbow labels, Rainbow made some rather unusual fireworks such as Twisting Trail and Falling Star, i particularly liked the Space Bomb, only a small tube but very loud!, the Flying Saucer and the fantastic Silver Tree, a large fountain with a beautiful silver spray, Rainbow only made relatively small rockets, the biggest i ever saw was the Apollo, the only two section rocket i ever saw by them.

6. Thinking about what i wrote earlier i dug out my old scrap books which have loads of old firework labels in them and i found a few Rainbow fireworks i had forgotten including Snowcap, Blizzard, Spitfire, Aerial Flash and Italian Streamer, they did make a lot of fountains but so did most companies back then as most shops only stocked the smaller,cheaper fireworks, i can't remember if Rainbow made selection boxes as i certainly don't recall buying one but i always did prefer buying single fireworks as that way i got exactly what i wanted, my Brother certainly bought a lot of Rainbow bangers, i remember the small Signal Rockets too which, like many back then just rose with a gold tail and had no stars in them.

7. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

8. The early 70s selection boxes were far superior to the 60s from what I can remember with a better selection of stuff, in 25p,50p and £1 boxes with this design

Attached Files:

9. Thanks, i do remember seeing them now but don't think i ever bought one.

10. TONYB

TONYB Supports UKFR

rainbow bangers
    IMG_3542.JPG
    IMG_3543.JPG

11. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

The 26 different Rainbow bangers that I have managed to acquire so far.....

IMG_7708.JPG

12. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

This is everything I have on file for Rainbow labels.

RAINBOW APOLLO ROCKET 12037.jpg RAINBOW FIESTA958.jpg RAINBOW GOLDEN ORION957.jpg RAINBOW STAR BURST RCKT956.jpg RAINBOW PATHFINDER955.jpg RAINBOW JAVELIN954.jpg RAINBOW ELECTRIC ROMAN953.jpg RAINBOW SPACE BOMB952.jpg RAINBOW TARGET ARROW951.jpg RAINBOW BLIZZARD949.jpg RAINBOW SPECTRUM950.jpg RAINBOW DELTA HELICOPTER948.jpg RAINBOW STAR SHELL947.jpg RAINBOW EJECTOR945.jpg RAINBOW ROMAN CANDLE944.jpg RAINBOW ORBIT RCKT946.jpg RAINBOW TWINKLING CASCADE943.jpg RAINBOW MORTAR SHELL942.jpg RAINBOW METEOR RKT940.jpg RAINBOW FLYING SAUCER 12941.jpg RAINBOW AIR RAID939.jpg RAINBOW STAR SHELL937.jpg RAINBOW BUSH FIRE938.jpg RAINBOW CARNIVAL LIGHTS936.jpg RAINBOW MOONSHOT 2935.jpg RAINBOW THOR RKT934.jpg RAINBOW HELICOPTER 18933.jpg RAINBOW TRAFFIC LIGHT932.jpg RAINBOW MINI HELO931.jpg

13. Thanks for all the info and images, this brand died off 10 years before i was born so i didn't exactly get any first hand experience of them! so great to hear of what the fireworks did and see the actual fireworks, and boxes. That 2/6 box of Kevin's is very nice. I have very little in the way of the Rainbow brand only a cone, two bangers and a tatty banger box but at least it's something, of a long gone brand. Looking back at a previous thread i see there was a question over the No 9 banger, the cone i have is also a No 9, any thoughts? various 021.JPG various 022.JPG

Firefiend and Sparkler like this.
  14. Looking at clarenicky's pic of the fireworks, i see the crackling cauldron looks like an Astra one, is this a cross over firework or did Astra nick it for there own after closing the rainbow brand down.

Richard Lane and Firefiend like this.
  15. No picture of the fantastic Silver Tree fountain and i don't have a fired one or a label either, if anyone does i would love to see it again.

16. Firefiend

Firefiend Supports UKFR

A few more images I have...
    Rainbow Bush Fire - Size 6.jpg Rainbow Electric Sparklers.jpg Rainbow Star Shell - Size 10.jpg Rainbow Delta Helicopter - Size 18.jpg Rainbow Thunder & Earthquake Bangers - 24d Box of 12.jpg Rainbow Thunder & Hurricane Bangers - 30d Box of 12.jpg Rainbow Thunder Bangers - 24d (10p) Box of 10.jpg

17. TONYB

TONYB Supports UKFR

another rainbow item
    IMG_2204.JPG IMG_2203.JPG

18. TONYB

TONYB Supports UKFR

rainbow catherine wheel and rockets
    WP_20140820_006 (2).jpg WP_20140820_007 (2).jpg WP_20141025_026 (2).jpg

19. 8979CB93-2DEE-4A8B-8375-B767119C4A26.jpeg The very elusive selection box from the Rainbow Astra cross over, contains a few Rainbow items designed differently only for a year or so then they disappeared