Rare Brocks Poster

Discussion in 'Fireworks Nostalgia, Collectables And History' started by Richard Lane, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Richard Lane

Richard Lane Supports UKFR

IMG_4238.JPG Found this recently at a book and print shop.I always ..time permitting ..haunt these antiquarian book and print shops and idly search for any pyro bits.
    Found this in a sheaf of odd posters etc.
    I have in all my 60 years involved with Fireworks ..never ever seen this design...I believe it to be very unusual and rare.For a start ..never seen the spikes like these on any Brocks fireworks...or on any other for that matter!!
    Both fireworks portrayed here...once again I have never...ever..seen.Think it may have been produced as a speculative design study only.
    That said it has been used as a poster somewhere..tape marks at the corners etc etc.Curiouser and curiouser!......
    Has anybody ever seen this or the fireworks portrayed?

2. Pyro Pete

Pyro Pete Forum Editor

Nice poster, great old fashioned name "Nest of screech owls" :)

3. Sandling Fireworks

Sandling Fireworks Pro Firer/Crew

I remember these well. The base and spike were wooden. Contained roman candle batteries.

4. Richard Lane

That's very interesting...the spikes look plastic to me.
    What sort of size where the fireworks?....

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  5. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

Yet another nice find.......
    I've been trying to work out what era they could be from, ..
    My educated guess would have to be early 1960's........ Brocks seem to have dropped the Crystal Palace bit of their trading name in around 1958.......... so must be after that..... plastic spikes were around by late 1960's and you will probably find these wooden versions were in the transition period....... I have never seen any real fireworks so far with that type of spike.

6. Richard Lane

Kev..yep I agree with all you say..timing is about right...early 60's is pretty well spot I guess...the spikes puzzle me..I like you have never seen this type....Timber or plastic.
    I'm amazed the stuff that keeps coming up...you and I between us I would think have seen just about everything in retail..and trade pyro stuff within the last say 80 years or so...but hey presto up comes something completely new!....

7. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

something makes me think they could be designed for the U.S. market, just a niggling hunch at the moment...........

Screech Owls are a native species of North America and Canada........
    Ack Ack is more a US term used for anti aircraft fire
    Brocks had a big sales presence in Canada........

all points that way...

8. Richard Lane

Mmmm good thinking..the soldiers are wearing British Brodie helmets...

9. Whizzbang

Whizzbang Supports UKFR

10. Richard Lane

That's great..checked the Brocks twitter feed and it's there alright....so it's been a poster at sometime...same central foldline as mine....love the artwork...basically beautifully naive..that's the charm of this era......still it's pretty rare ....thanks for posting ...very interesting.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  11. if I had to choose between USA and Canada for the market for this poster, I would pick Canada. there were some wood staked tube fountains in the USA, but those were 1940s-1950s, I can't recall ever seeing plastic staked items for the USA market. I think I have a few of the old wood staked fountains, but more prevalent back then was hand held fountains, which did not have the sharp point, just a flat wooden dowel for a handle.

however, Canada had plastic staked air bombs, I don't know when they were introduced up there, but this style of firework is/was much more common there. plus, UK fireworks was more available in Canada as opposed to the US. sure I see some UK items offered up in various older US catalogs, but not very often. in fact, I tend to see UK items more in 1980s era catalogs as opposed to 1960s. I do have some late 60s/early 70s UK items that was made for the US market, but I don't think it was widely available.

Gotta be honest, I don't know what all the items did in the old UK assortments. I know what the Catherine wheels do, but the tubes, were they aerial or fountains?? Back in the day, salutes and firecrackers had to be the biggest sellers in the US. I don't think the UK assortments would have sold that well over here. I'm also not well versed in British currency, but it seemed that fireworks are/were pretty expensive in the UK.

12. Richard Lane

Hi Mr Mojo.
    Thanks for the input...yes I agree re Canada...Brocks had a bigger retail shop goods presence in Canada..Brocks were very keen to supply 'The Empire'..Australia..New Zealand..India ,South Africa etc.
    I have found some very good examples in Canada over the years I've been collecting...particularly of Brocks items.
    These tubes shown above are definitely Roman candles...gathered together into battery format.
    It's the spikes that interest me..I can't quite see proportionately that they would be strong enough If made of wood...and they look plastic ....

13. BarnOwl

BarnOwl Supports UKFR

7678F836-C0CD-4346-AEC9-64A67A82954E.jpeg So just resurrecting this thread after 3 years..

Interestingly both these items discussed on poster ‘Nest of Screech Owls’ and ‘Ack-Ack Battery’ do both feature in the UK Brocks & Wilders brochure from ‘73 as shown above - both code W in K selection. So looks as if/maybe they were produced for the UK market too (as well as Canadian as discussed previously)?
    Anyone know for sure, or could shed any light?
    Would be great to find examples of them out there still....

Peter Mackett likes this.
  14. Richard Lane

Mike..good morning..very interesting info this...it would be great indeed if someone could come up with some actual samples of these ....R

15. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

More likely that this is the type of Ack Ack Barrage in the 1973 brochure...........this will be an earlier example as Brocks were operating out of Sanquhar by 1973..
    BROCKS ACK ACK BARRAGE.jpg

16. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

I have several A4 pages showing the Brocks range of products, annoyingly they have been ripped out of a brochure and there is no dating information on the pages although looking at the pictures I would think they are early 70's........ anyway it shows both items on this page. I know which design I prefer.
    brocks info005.jpg

FXB Fireworks and Peter Mackett like this.
  17. BarnOwl

BarnOwl Supports UKFR

yep shows them all. Thanks @Escht, I knew somebody would know. That's likely solved that then..
    The poster design artwork was thus likely only for the export market after all..

18. Richard Lane

Good stuff Kev...;)

19. Sandling Fireworks

Sandling Fireworks Pro Firer/Crew

I remember those items well. Both were on sale in the UK and had wooden spikes on the bottom.

BarnOwl likes this.
  20. BarnOwl

BarnOwl Supports UKFR

Hope springs eternal....