Recommendations: After display site clear-up

Discussion in 'Professional Fireworks' started by TonyF, Oct 12, 2019.

1. TonyF

TonyF Pro Firer/Crew

Over the years we've tried many different rakes and brooms in our attempts to clear up the debris left around the firing site after a display. In most cases it all ends up as a hands-and-knees job as we crawl across the site gathering gash by hand.

Hard and soft sites have different requirements and things change depending on the time of year but we've never really found any good brand of rake/broom that generally work well on either type of site and are robust enough for more than a couple of uses.

We know that metal or wooden handles are essential; plastic handles don't last. Metal garden rakes are pretty much beyond useless anywhere where the grass is more than just a few centimetres high. Plastic tines have a tendency to break off if used with determination and there are such huge gaps between the tines on some models that all we end up doing is giving the site a nice comb-over whilst leaving all the disks and paper debris behind.

Does anyone have any rake/broom recommendations?

2. elmo

elmo Pro Firer/Crew

3. Iv just brought a petrol leaf Blower/vaccum can be found for 80 quid?? Going to try this method this year :)

4. TonyF

TonyF Pro Firer/Crew

Be interested to hear your verdict.

Pidgey likes this.
  5. Dodgey

Dodgey Pro Firer/Crew

I guess we've been lucky with clients do far. We clean up obvious paper and foil and plastic units (plus all cable ties and delays), plus any big card units that present themselves to us. Only ever picked up the card discs when we fired on a cricket pitch.

We de-foil all cakes before firing unless it's wet, in which case the plastic bags keep it all roughly together. We never foil racks. Don't do comps.

Lots of return jobs and never a complaint.

6. hofnerite

hofnerite UKFR Stash Photo 2018 Winner! Supports UKFR

Tried that a couple of years ago. You need to be so close to the discs to suck them up that you might as well pick them up with a litter grabber.
    I've got two kids, 5p a disc keeps them amused for an hour.

7. PyroS

PyroS Pro Firer/Crew

We've been using rakes similar to these for years with no issues and don't think we have managed to break one yet.

Attached Files:

Pyro Ed, Jake01, TonyF and 2 others like this.
  8. luke

luke Pro Firer/Crew

Cake boards on an old tarp make clean up a fair bit easier.

One company I've crewed for hire a clean up crew which makes it easier for the pyro crew.

The goats are great but not so good in longer grass.

The blowers I've never had much luck with.

Wooden handle, plastic tine rakes seem to be the most common tools.

Pyro Pete and TonyF like this.
  9. Jon

Jon Pro Firer/Crew

I end up raking grass, scarifying someone's lawn after a display can be very therapeutic, especially when you notice the dense thatch amongst the grass during setup....can be like digging your nails into you scalp to dislodge that deep seated dandruff....very satisfying...

blackbat likes this.
  10. PyroPro

PyroPro Pro Firer/Crew

Taking the paper off the top of the cakes helps massively if you are not due any rain . Rake and an empty box is the best way unless you have a backpack blower with plenty of power ,hand held blowers are not up to the job not powerful enough unless on hard standing or very short grass .

11. deans6571

deans6571 Supports UKFR

What's the best way to get rid of a partly fired cake?

I have a Celtic Bite Me, which I can't figure out what has happened to it - its still on a pallet outside (clear up is tomorrow!!), having only fired just 3 of its 36 tubes. The cake still has all the clingfilm over the top, above the 3 corner tubes which fired so it's not immediately obvious if these 3 tubes just went off due to a stray spark or whether the cake actually failed (I haven't yet inspected it - doing so tonight actually!)?!

Should I just immerse the whole cake in a bucket of water overnight to 'kill it' or should I poke around for a fuse and try to relight it somewhere?

12. K9Girl

K9Girl Tinsel Town Sales Reduction Ambassador Supports UKFR

Soak it for 48 hours, then use your normal rubbish bin

deans6571 likes this.
  13. Flowerpot Master

Flowerpot Master Pro Firer/Crew

Probably most likely a dislodged fuse between tubes. Fairly easy to spot with the bottom paper off.

deans6571 likes this.
  14. Take the bottom off and find where the fuse has broken then find the end and light it, i've done this many times to fire them!, just light at arms length and get back quickly!

15. K9Girl

K9Girl Tinsel Town Sales Reduction Ambassador Supports UKFR

Not that safe though, especially if its a quick fuse :eek:

16. Flowerpot Master

Flowerpot Master Pro Firer/Crew

Agreed

Either extend with some additional visco or connect a c ematch

DaleMartin and K9Girl like this.
  17. Yes, those of us who know about Mike's accident will agree

Da Main Mouse likes this.
  18. Pyro Pete

Pyro Pete Forum Editor

I really cannot recommend this and want to say this is NOT the advice the majority of firework users here would want to give to the public.

A part-fired cake could still be smouldering and could re-start at any time. Even if it's completely out, lighting an internal fuse gives you no indication of how long you have to safely get away.

I know some here consider themselves experienced enough to try this, fair enough, and some here have the competencies to add additional fuse - but for everyone else, please don't attempt it.

19. I can't stand leaving pyro half fired so it has to go, i'm just saying what i do to get rid of it and if i blow myself up then that's my problem!, i don't expect others to do it or am suggesting they do, it's just the way i have always disposed of cakes that have only part fired.

fozzboy likes this.