Some of my Favorites

Discussion in 'Fireworks Nostalgia, Collectables And History' started by Richard Lane, Jan 23, 2020.

1. BarnOwl

BarnOwl Supports UKFR

I presume this is the Mine of Serpents being fired, filmed and tested in the Pathe film testing site at Hemel Hempstead. as put up on the forum by @Mystic Juggler in Nov. Great footage for anyone that hasn't seen it.

2. jww

jww Supports UKFR

I thought it was a very very well done ( fun ) documentary - the ladies did a great job of it; thou' I was a *little* embarrassed for the pyro expert chaps who could have been a little more - scientific - in their approach to the big rocket? Not criticizing - but manifestly a 10lb or similar rocket would be way too big / powerful / dangerous - and ( to simple me ) the obvious choice would be to use a small set of commercial lift motors ( distress rocket / estes / or even just firework rocket ) to produce the ascent of the device. Again, great job by the ladies, they brought an ego-free, fun and genuinely energetic slant I thought. Assume all have seen the recreation of the gunpowder element of the original Parliament gig on the 5th...the power of so much B.P. was to be agog at - I recall Dr Sydney Alford was involved ( in the documentary, not the original attempt ! ). Dr Chris Bishop ( Microsoft Research ) has one or two very excellent videos re: pyro too !...John.

3. jww

jww Supports UKFR

I think it's somewhat smaller in the film - the one here is truly huge - I've a dummy of the one in the film if memory serves. Just working how to use a hand held scanner and some rollers to reproduce the label without damaging it ( in case I need to make a few dummy copies for fun...- I do :) )

4. Richard Lane

Richard Lane Supports UKFR

I've seen the film..and love it..one of the best and most interesting of the 50's films about the industry.
    What a job the tester had..he looks very matter of fact about his work..it must be like being a chocoholic working on the line at Cadbury's..eventually it just becomes 'everyday'.

The one in the film is not as large as posted..but as I said I'm not sure if there was a live version..I think this is like the giant ice cream cones you see outside ice cream sellers ...you never actually get a real one...but you never know!!

5. standard steve

standard steve Supports UKFR

6. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

upload_2020-1-26_19-6-24.jpeg

i don't recall seeing this picture before, but I don't recall a lot of things nowadays.......

this one didn't look right, ..now I know why. .. imagine finding a load of old pyro like these tucked away in some dusty corner.........
    group-of-children-admiring-a-window-display-of-fireworks.jpg

7. Richard Lane

IMG_2112.JPG IMG_2099.JPG On the subject of 50's times and the Fireworks of yesteryear ..two posters which really captures the times

8. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

That reminds me, I've got that Wilders poster to get framed.......

9. standard steve

on regards to the kids looking in the window photo , glad I wasn't there , doubt I would have had enough brass to buy owt !
    lol .

10. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

They wouldn’t have let you in anyway as it would have ended up costing them money :)

11. standard steve

probably ! lol ( how much )

12. TONYB

TONYB Supports UKFR

ive just had a look at kevs picture he posted and found i have a mask very similar ....is it a guy mask ?
    group-of-children-admiring-a-window-display-of-fireworks.jpg WP_20140914_054 (2).jpg

13. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

Now Tony, don't panic, just put the mirror down and the frightening face will go away .......... :D

Looks like you've got the same type of mask as in the window, in which case I would think it is a Pains one as all the gear in that picture is Pains,.......... the photo was printed back to front

TONYB likes this.
  14. standard steve

your mask tony , does look very similar to the ones in kevins photo , you could say almost a mirror image .

TONYB likes this.
  15. Richard Lane

I think it's an exact copy!....and yes Kevs quite right the photo is reversed..but nevertheless the printing on the wraps is smashing..some of Pains classic designs...in partic the jumping jack pattern on the wheel boss and the sun design central in the photograph.

TONYB likes this.