Southport 28/39/30 September

Discussion in 'Firework Events And Displays' started by Chesterfield Fireworks, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Chesterfield Fireworks

Chesterfield Fireworks Pro Firer/Crew

Anyone going??

I've never been and quite fancy it, cant make all three nights but have found some cheap hotels on outskirts of Preston for the Saturday & Sunday evenings...

2. RocketRev

RocketRev Moderator Supports UKFR

I'm planning to be there - as usual.:)

3. Chris

Chris Pro Firer/Crew Supports UKFR

I'll hopefully be there all 3 nights once again - usually attend on my own on Friday and Sunday and with the family on Saturday having had the day in Southport - weather permitting!

I only live about an hour away so go home each night. Have looked at booking the Premier Inn behind the firing site previously but you need to book all 3 nights, they don't let you just book one for that weekend.

4. gareth71

gareth71 Pro Firer/Crew

I'm hoping to go on Friday and Saturday - work permitting. I know I'm working on Sunday, so that's a no-go.

I went Fri and Sat last year, and to be honest I enjoyed the Friday a lot more - my daughter came with me, it was the first time I'd been to the comp at S'port so I didn't know whether taking folding chairs was a wise move but we took them anyway, and it turned out there was plenty of room to sit ourselves in a space behind the railing at the side of the lake and enjoy the food we'd just bought from Morrisons! I went on my own on Saturday, didn't bother with the chair, parked further out of town and walked in, and I'm glad I did - the place was way more crowded, and I'd have ended up carrying the chair around all night. The Friday just seemed more relaxed.

5. G-Force Fireworks

G-Force Fireworks Pro Firer/Crew

I will be there for all 3 nights!
    Firing first on the first night! - so bring your dancing shoes!;)

6. MrDan

MrDan Pro Firer/Crew

Me and the better half shall be at Blackpool on the Friday and Southport on the Saturday :)

7. Recoil

Recoil Pro Firer/Crew

Me and the other half will be there , pending no-one booking my PA gear, which so far has been jinxed for every event i wanted to see this year

8. camalboom

camalboom Pro Firer/Crew

I may have pulled this off. All three days.:)

9. MrDan

MrDan Pro Firer/Crew

Do you know when everybody else is firing?
    The website lists who, but not when:
    Saltire Fireworks
    G Force Fireworks
    Komodo Fireworks
    Highlight Pyrotechnics
    Britannia Fireworks
    Phenomenal Fireworks
    Celebration Displays​

10. Jay

Jay Pro Firer/Crew

Usually there all three days, been wanting to crew it since my first visit, finally get my chance and I'm not in the country. :( So guys, if you are reading this, you need to win so I can crew on Champion of Champions :cool:

DannyB likes this.
  11. luke

luke Pro Firer/Crew

I'm going to be there all three days :)

12. RocketRev

I'm now definitely going to be there 3 evenings - complete with photographers pass.:)
    I found out about those passes via the event website, but can't see the details now. So maybe they'll all been sold and the website updated accordingly? What did interest me today when I looked at the website was that the rules and scoring criteria have been published for all to see. That includes details of what type of fireworks, effects and shell calibres are allowed / not allowed. I think that's a good move.:)
    Link here: http://www.british-musical-fireworks-championships.co.uk/rules/
    For ticket info and contact details if anyone wants to ask about photographers passes, follow the link and then "about" on the menu bar.

13. Shockwave Pyrotechnics

Shockwave Pyrotechnics Pro Firer/Crew

The following fireworks are not permitted in the Championships:-
    • Cylinder shells exceeding 125mm (5 inches) maximum dimension (usually length)

I'd like to know where you get a 5" cylinder shell that is less than 5" longo_O

14. RocketRev

Do 75mm diameter cylinder shells exist? If so, then 125mm length max allowed in the comp.

15. Shockwave Pyrotechnics

ahh, yeah I may have read that wrong..... yes, 75mm cylinders do exist and they're probably about 5" long actually.....

16. gareth71

gareth71 Pro Firer/Crew

I e-mailed Sefton council a few weeks ago about a photographers' pass - all I got was an auto-responder saying that Joanne Rawlinson was on holiday and that she'd get back to me on her return. She didn't. Have e-mailed her again this morning.

17. luke

luke Pro Firer/Crew

I think it's good to see the rules on the website, for all to see.
    It's not that far away now either it should be a good event.

18. Chesterfield Fireworks

Chesterfield Fireworks Pro Firer/Crew

hmmm, you get as many points for the choice of music as you do for synchronising the fireworks with it.... seems odd

Will be interesting to see if ANY effort is made to ensure that limit is adhered to....

PyroSteve likes this.
  19. Shockwave Pyrotechnics

I'm sure the competitors wouldn't knowingly go over the limit Stu? That would be a low, unsporting and ungentlemanly thing to do, and the win wouldn't mean a thing in anyones eyes.

20. blackbat

blackbat Pro Firer/Crew Supports UKFR

How would anyone know?