Standard "spike" shot tubes/air bombs, and their effects

Discussion in 'Fireworks Nostalgia, Collectables And History' started by e_pinniger, Nov 19, 2018.

1. One range of fireworks that always intrigued me as a kid were the Standard range of shot tube/air bomb types with a plastic spike. Partly because, along with rockets and the exploded remains of bangers, these were the most common spent fireworks I found lying around parks and alleyways in the run up to Nov.5th, and partly because the bright plastic spike made them stand out visually from other fireworks - not to mention that I've also always (but especially as a kid) preferred aerial effect fireworks to fountains!

Though I clearly remember the packaging of most Standard "garden" fireworks from the late 1980s to early 90s - as regards what they actually did when set off, I only clearly remember the Air Bomb and Screecher, though I must have bought at least one of all the single and double-shot types that were available from Standard around this time! I remember one year buying the "aerial selection" box, which had at least one of each single-shot firework (it also had the "champagne pop" mini rockets which I remember made a very odd noise)

Air Bomb - obviously, a (very loud) bang and flash
    Screecher - from what I recall, the same as above with a shell that whistled (equally loudly!) before bursting
    Supersonic Bang - no idea, though I must have let a few off, was this a starshell/bang combination?
    Jet Scream - I'd guess like the Screecher but without the bang?
    Floodlight - this was definitely a very bright white star (magnesium?), but I can't remember if it exploded or simply faded.
    Aerolite - another one I can't remember though I definitely had one in the Aerial Selection box. Was this a 1-shot star shell?

Two other Standard "single-shot with spike" types I've seen on this forum, but which were discontinued before my time, are the Telstar and Scarlet Fury. The latter seems to be a fair bit bigger than the others, though from the tube proportions I'd guess it's still 1-shot. I'd be interested to know what these did, and if there were any other fireworks in the Standard shot-tube range, excluding repeater versions of the above.

2. TONYB

TONYB Supports UKFR

is this the aerial selection box you mention

WP_20140914_039.jpg WP_20140914_040.jpg

3. That's definitely it!
    Given the non-standard fuse + stick design I wonder if the "pop" rockets were re-labelled imports rather than Standard manufacture.

4. elmo

elmo Pro Firer/Crew

A Devil Amongst the Tailors ??:love:

geoff likes this.
  5. TONYB

TONYB Supports UKFR

i would think they are imports re labelled .....someone on here will know for certain

6. TONYB

TONYB Supports UKFR

IMG_4436.JPG IMG_2642.JPG WP_20140914_011 (2).jpg

7. elmo

elmo Pro Firer/Crew

The newer design never did it for me

blackbat and standard steve like this.
  8. Jamie Thornton

Jamie Thornton Supports UKFR

You only have to look at the devil amongst the tailers made by the standard factory to that later Chinese thing and theres no comparison.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    TerenceFawkes likes this.
  9. nor me elmo . tacky !

10. Screecher - from what I recall, the same as above with a shell that whistled (equally loudly!) before bursting
    Supersonic Bang - no idea, though I must have let a few off, was this a starshell/bang combination?
    Jet Scream - I'd guess like the Screecher but without the bang?
    Floodlight - this was definitely a very bright white star (magnesium?), but I can't remember if it exploded or simply faded.

Aerolite - another one I can't remember though I definitely had one in the Aerial Selection box. Was this a 1-shot star shell?
    These are the effects from these fireworks -

Screecher - fired a hummer, it didn't burst, an effect that was banned but has happily returned now.
    Supersonic Bang- Same as an Air Bomb, a single loud bang.
    Jet Scream - A single whistle.
    Floodlight - a bright white comet,
    Astrolite - Fired a red and green star burst, the single version of the Star Shell.

e_pinniger, TerenceFawkes and geoff like this.
  11. geoff

geoff Supports UKFR

Great fireworks and memory’s

TerenceFawkes likes this.
  12. Scarlet Fury was a bright red flare followed by a bang and a cloud of small red stars. A great effect and I fired one recently but the stars just plopped out unfortunately.
    Telstar was a much bigger version of the Floodlight white star, when it went up it lit the whole area up.
    Screecher were spinning hummers, not whistles, my favourite effect and the best were Brock’s like Banshee and Screech Owl

e_pinniger and standard steve like this.
  13. Pains Humming Spider and Wessex Flying Saucer and Sonic Saturn were great hummer fireworks too!

14. Does anyone know when the Telstar was sold? I seem to remember them from the early to mid-seventies (when I was a small lad) but never bought one or saw one perform. Also, Standard made a spiked firework called Flying Saucer, I think in the sixties. Does anyone remember these or how they performed? Thanks!

15. Telstar was around in the 1960's, i remember them being in selection boxes as well as sold individually, never heard of a Standard Flying Saucer, Wessex and Rainbow had them and they were hummers.

16. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

17. Thanks to all for the posts + information. I remember now the Screecher shots spinning round giving off sparks - which I now recognise as a hummer - though I thought it made a pretty loud whistling screech, not a humming or "whizzing" sound as hummers usually do now. These are still some of my favourites along with fish, bees and similar animated effects. Although I understand why they were banned, the aeroplane/helicopter fireworks also intrigue me, I'd love to have seen one of these in action (possibly from a safe distance, though they probably weren't all that dangerous!)

Looking through my reference photos of vintage fireworks (most saved from this forum) I found one with a couple of Standard "Parachute Floating Lights" which are spiked tubes about the same length as the 2-shot air bomb repeater. This is another effect I'd love to have seen, didn't realise Standard made them as single ground fireworks as well as batteries and rockets.

The Devil Amongst the Tailors is an interesting set piece, I never saw one fired though I once collected a spent one from a neighbour's firework party!

18. the air bomb and super sonic bang from standard were the same , the standard bazooka air bomb was louder .

standard steve likes this.
  19. was named after the telstar satalite which was launched in 1962 .

20. Thanks everyone for the info'. Steve - 1962, I'm much too young to remember...