Standard's History in Pictures, Videos and Documents

Discussion in 'Fireworks Nostalgia, Collectables And History' started by Tinderbox, Nov 29, 2021.

1. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew Supports UKFR

John, I noticed the rapid burn of the BTP on that rocket too. It also looks to be fairly windy so this may have been a factor? Certainly didn't give the bloke much time to step back.

On the German motors, they do seem to use a multi-stage method in a lot of their designs. I've tried a few over the years. Some give a big core burner thrust and then change to either titanium or big bushy charcoal and sometimes both in a 3 stage effect. Some of the Zink's have a very similar Standard style motor with a big core burn 'whoosh' with a big bushy tail all the way up. A good example of a manufacturer considering the motors to be part of the spectacle rather than just a means to get it up there. I once had a mixed size pack of Weco Hong Kong Nights from Great Northern. Small to medium rockets. They all had charcoal core burners.

There's really no need for highly efficient end burners in firework rockets. Not in consumer goods. For me, if you're going to make rockets, they should be as magical as you can make them and it all starts with the motor. These are fireworks after all. Not signal flares. Fireworks should be as Gandalf would make them himself.

As Jamie mentions, Funke are really getting there with their rockets.

jww and Jamie Thornton like this.
  2. I don’t bother with the large modern rockets anyway and all that awful plastic, I’d rather
    get a pack of nice medium sized rockets such as the funke ones, I really like the Blattertanz ones with the horsetail effect especially, very traditional type bursts with nice tail on the way up, way I see it I don’t think the large stuff is worth it I’m just happy with the smaller rockets and the more traditional garden fireworks, just hard to get decent stuff though now, I like the klasek ground spinners which we have just got for the first time the Tazmania ones which spin on the ground and an humming sound ending with crackle, got two packs of 54, never had as much fun since bangers lighting them and watching them spin on the ground:).

3. Tinderbox

Where juh get those Jamie?

4. Fireworks crazy, I ordered online as they are in the south no where near me.

5. Sorry I edited this, But just to throw in, with the history link, I was chatting by random coincedence to someone on FB about a local cinema which has been demolished. (stick with this) and chat turned to a shop local to it which used to sell broken biscuits to kids going to the cinema. the poster mentioned that her gran used to work in a factory which made tubes for Standard fireworks and she often went on the lorry to deliver the tubes to the factory.

it got me to thinking about the social history of firework manufacture, this was an oldham factory, using imported card to make tubes, then sent to Hudersfield, using components from all over the place.

More than just a tube of powder with blue touch paper.

jww likes this.
  6. jww

jww Supports UKFR

Interesting - it's kinda strange how something as "simple" as a basic pyro item - as we note tube + label + BTP - has such a complicated supply chain - notwithstanding the hazard side, the sheer number of elements - the glue, the string, the mixing, the printing, the quality control, the packaging, the finances, the insurance, marketing, the chemicals and sourcing of same -

it's just even more mind boggling that Std in particular produced the VAST range it did - I'm just SO SO glad I've a few items tucked away which - prove - that such a variety of items ever existed - Chinese Flyers, festoon rockets, mines, batteries, waterfalls, lance works...it's just so impossible that we'll see the like again.

It's also impossible that a bunch of wild folks won't somehow use modernity - crowd funding, the web, artificial intelligence, robotics etc to "bring it all back"...in that tech MUST be able to overcome the multitude of difficulties - of course we all know it's impossible - but would you have bet on LP records returning, space tourism or shopping from your desk!?!? JW. p.s. I wonder what % of a retail item is non-pyro - i.e. just craft work? - obviously once the pyro element is added, then it's fully controlled, but until then, it's just paper, glue etc. I know manufacturers used to do off site work for e.g. banger case rolling - wistful ponderings...

Rookwood likes this.
  7. the tube company was Star Paper Tubes, Im asking around the area to see if any information exists on them.

LPs coming back? :D never went away for me, not wanting to hijack the thread, but the sound on a decent turntable/stylus set up beats digital anyday. (imho)

home made (uk based, not literally in homes) pyro might return oneday - we can live in hope.

Jamie Thornton and jww like this.
  8. Photo of Mega Rocket motor manufacture at Standard. Standard 4oz rocket manufacture 2.JPG

Tinderbox, Jamie Thornton and TONYB like this.
  9. Tinderbox

Awesome. Where was this from? Private collection?

Just trying to figure how that press works. Looks like it's rammed from below. Pushing the tube and spindle up into the drift. Looks like a powder funnel at top. China knock these out in multiples so seeing them being done one by one by hand gives you an idea of the level of dedication to quality Standard had.

Jamie Thornton likes this.
  10. Chinese rockets have an hollowed out PVC motor with a clay nozzle at the
    base with a very thin piece of card wrapped around it, the level of quality is
    terrible in comparison, will say this though the funke rockets are by far about the
    only ones which still have some nice effects.

11. Tinderbox

Standard's were made the same way except the tubes were all paper. Look at the spindle in her right hand. That goes up intot he tube to form the 'core'. This increases the burning surface area massively allowing for slower burning, fuel-rich composition to be used rather than the fast and hot milled blackpowder used in end burners (burn like a cigarette from one end to the other). Core burners burn from the inside out. That's what gives them that massive 'whoosh' on take off. The specific impulse all happens within a second or slightly over. All the energy needed to take them up is dumped in that small moment. The rest of the flight up is just residual momentum. Very much like an archers arrow. End burners generate constant thrust the entire flight but require efficient fuel so very little to no tail at all.

jww and blackbat like this.
  12. Except like you say standards were made out of all card as were all the rockets made by
    UK manufacturers and made in a more detailed enthusiastically way rather than just cheaply, there is no reason why the Chinese ones couldn’t use all card rather than the solid plastic but guess everything is about cost nowadays.

13. jww

jww Supports UKFR

Yes, I guess that Std motor being shown costs maybe 10 or 100x more than the "equivalent" made abroad.

We should perhaps be mindful that the Chinese are an extraordinarily clever and skilled people, they can certainly make anything pyro-wise required -

It's super painful that cheap labour has destroyed something we cherish so much - but it's just the nature of things - no doubt lots of "one man band" pyro makers were put out of business by the "big boys" of Std, Brocks etc. much as supermarkets trashed endless small shops.

It would be good for us to club together and get a Chinese factory to make us 25,000 Size 20 Std rockets - probably would be shocking when they quoted us like 50p each or similar...John. p.s. try the calcs on the rockets order - if 100 folks in the club, each would get a LOT of rockets for their investment - a bit to add for testing, shipping, insurance, storeage of course...

14. I was given a scanned copy of the design proposal that Standard used internally when they wanted to replace the existing rocket with a new on with a more reliable motor. (and to use less plastic). There were a couple of photos in the booklet and this was one of the more interesting ones.

15. Tinderbox

Who's up for this?

I mentioned a while back that I've always wanted to visit the Standard Site at Crossland Hill purely to explore the remains of sheds and huts from the old blue touchpaper days. I did email Standard regarding this and was very kindly told nothing remains except storage for current product.

I'm inclined to make a second attempt. Going by satellite imagery, quite a bit of the old site does indeed remain albeit in ruins but it's there, as archeological relics. Take a look at the link below and look amongst the overgrown wasteland areas. Plenty to explore. Plus, there are still rows of sheds where manufacture took place. A full day's worth of exploration I'd say. I'm simply not bothered about the large sheds full of modern stuff. It's those scruffy, overgrown areas with what look like obvious remains that get me excited

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.6277883,-1.8274054,240m/data=!3m1!1e3

So, if anyone would like to join me please say so. It's about a 2 hour drive for me. I'll email them again this week.

I've never ever been yet always wanted to. Standard was a huge influence on my childhood years. I'd just love to walk around, climb through overgrowth and explore the remains of the old site and imagine what must have gone on there. With a copy of the site plans and a camera, I hope to piece together best I can, a record of it's current state of degradation. Call me weird but I find ruins fascinating anyway.

Some quick examples. There's loads when you start zooming in and having a proper look.

Attached Files:

16. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

You might be out of luck, the site is earmarked for 700+ new houses.
    0_blackcat.jpg

17. jww

jww Supports UKFR

Surreal stuff - welcome to the new housing estate - to think of the day the site first become Standard Fireworks new factory / offices - to when it became houses - it's kinda hard to reason about - "how did that come about" ?!? - I think most will agree that pyro factories ( esp. in the UK ) have a strange Willy Wonka type appeal - the whole edifice of some Lilliput meets Hobbiton "village" of buildings, little roads, strange shaped buildings and altogether curious comings and goings - with the product of those perfect pyro devices of size, colour and excitement.

I struggle to have the same sense of intrigue about a housing estate :( One can only wonder if the nomenclature of pyro and Std will be encoded into the street names - "Air Bomb Avenue", "Star Shell Close", "Shimmering Cascade Lane"....

John.

18. Pretty much the same story up and down the UK where once places of
    British manufacturing and employment have been destroyed to make way
    for dolly houses and this is British factories of all types, while we become more
    and more of nothing more than a services industry some fat cat developer is
    making a huge fortune and now the brown site isn’t enough they are taking up
    all the green spaces, ordinary people need proper jobs and places to work, we
    don’t need more and more unaffordable housing no matter what cock and bull
    story they tell us about there is not enough housing, there are plenty of rows and rows
    of houses that are boarded up in the city suburbs that might say different.

Peter Mackett likes this.
  19. That housing plan has been proposed for years but nothing has ever happened, a lot of ex industrial sites around Huddersfield just left to stand unused.

20. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

One of my militaria contacts lives at the bottom of the hill from the site, he was always getting free garden sticks provided by rockets being test fired at Standard and landing in his garden. Last time I heard anything about the site was last year when permission had been given after a delay because the site wasn't having enough houses crammed onto it. The council demanded that the developers added more so the council could meet it's criteria for new housing. Unless something else has changed I think the sites days are numbered. Perhaps Standardsteve knows more.