STUFF TO SWAP...nearly 30 years ago though!

Discussion in 'Fireworks Nostalgia, Collectables And History' started by Clarenicky, May 5, 2020.

1. 80780154-5715-4B9E-808E-E57B40625D02.jpeg
    I must admit I have a look on here sporadically, having collected fireworks (amongst other things) for many decades. Looking back at the height of collecting, for me in the early 90s, there were only a few of us that I knew of. Unfortunately I didn’t keep many records of the constantly changing collection, but I did occasionally photograph stuff, especially things I had to offer in swaps. The photos were usually posted first.
    A recent thread mentioning a pre war Standard box prompted me to delve in the loft, and I found some negatives of pictures I’d taken of odd things. So, with time to spare at the minute, I scanned them and although the quality isn’t great, it’s still a visible record of some of the stuff circulated.
    Here’s the first picture of some boxes, and I was right, the little pre war Standard box WAS 1/-.

2. standard steve

standard steve Supports UKFR

never found or had one of that type of standard 1/- box . nice to see though !

Clarenicky likes this.
  3. There were a few at the time, smallest box I’ve ever had. Wish I’d taken a picture of the contents but from memory there was nothing over 2d, they were mostly penny and halfpenny items

4. I always had a fondness for Rainbow items as our corner shop sold them. So it was Sod’s law that when a few Rainbow posters were found back then, they were all in this condition, disintegrated with dampness. Can’t remember why I even took the picture as nobody would have wanted one. This was the best one, couldn’t even chop them up to make one decent one lol
    7B9CAA9A-AC68-4A3B-8150-CBC333DE6E19.jpeg

5. I used to like Rainbow Fireworks too!

Clarenicky likes this.
  6. standard steve

3 rainbow banner posters .
    Photo033 (2).jpg

7. Although I love the artwork on posters, I did tend to use them as swaps back in the day. Apart from lack of space to display them properly, they tended to fade with exposure to daylight. Here’s a few that got passed on
    372E6A0F-92D6-48D1-BEC4-C3EB533B5791.jpeg
    42874618-77F5-40CA-B2AC-7D3166B8A2A8.jpeg
    D8E114E3-04E7-4AC2-ABE3-85BD23D570CA.jpeg
    F5FA04C7-9CBB-499B-B122-D7F41591AA32.jpeg

8. standard steve

The grand display poster is brilliant , never had that one ( yet ! ) seen it on the museum , a long time ago .
    wonderful art work !
    thanks for posting .

9. Richard Lane

Richard Lane Supports UKFR

IMG_2061.JPG
    IMG_2062.JPG
    IMG_2064.JPG
    Hi Chris...lovely stuff ...
    The Stanadard poster with the bonfire in the middle..I obtained this one from New Zealand!
    There were many of these type ..I have 3 all different but I will never forget my first find.
    When the vendor contacted me I thought it was probably somewhere in UK...how wrong can you be!!
    It was an EBay deal..and took about a month to be delivered...but it arrived eventually to my great relief.

10. Jamie Thornton

Jamie Thornton Supports UKFR

Lovely posters, thanks guys.

Richard Lane and Clarenicky like this.
  11. I’ll stick some more of the old pictures on of fireworks soon, there may be the odd few things people haven’t seen before

12. Nice to see my favourite on the Standard poster, the Parachute Floating Light but never seen it with a red label before.

Jamie Thornton and Richard Lane like this.
  13. blackbat

blackbat Pro Firer/Crew Supports UKFR

14. Here’s a selection of mines I had. I used to swap stuff with a lovely old guy from Cheshire who used to own a model railway shop and he had larger items like the huge 6/- Lion mine that was made from a tin. I still have some of his letters. I introduced him to another collector and when he sadly passed away we arranged to buy his collection between us.
    C4692BD3-BEAB-4857-82DD-D01BD4B54E4B.jpeg
    Needless to say, I was left out and he got the lot. Sadly, he’s no longer with us either though. The smaller things are all Excelsior.

15. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

Every item in there is new to me, thanks for sharing......... wonder where all that is now !

Clarenicky likes this.
  16. Jamie Thornton

Jamie Thornton Supports UKFR

Beautiful items there, thanks for sharing, must be exceptionally
    rare, particularly the lion and excelsior, love the artwork.

Clarenicky likes this.
  17. Richard Lane

Kev..Chris..nor have I..perhaps the Brocks Gold Mine..not sure....

Clarenicky likes this.
  18. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

I wasn't sure about that Brocks mine, after so many years can't remember everything..........

19. Richard Lane

I know the feeling!o_O......

20. Most of it is with a couple of fellow collectors who are good friends, so they went to good homes a long time ago now