Sussex Bonfire Season 2014

Discussion in 'Firework Events And Displays' started by forrest, Sep 17, 2014.

1. forrest

forrest Pro Firer/Crew

Well it's that time of year here in Sussex where the locals let of steam and go a little crazy. We've already had a couple of carnivals but seeing as they didn't have fireworks I've excluded them from my list below.

So if you are at a lose of what to do on a Saturday night and can't stomach anymore X factor try out one of these events.

20/9 Mayfield
    27/9 Burgess Hill
    4/10 Northiam, Eastbourne, Rotherfield
    11/10 Ninfield
    18/10 Hastings, Hailsham, Seaford, Neville
    25/10 Fletching, Littlehampton, Staplecross
    1/11 Newick, Battle
    5/11 Lewes, Lindfield
    8/11 East Hoathly, Rye, South Heighton
    14/11 Isfield
    15/11 Robertsbridge
    22/11 Hawkhurst, Barcombe

m00ny, Venger, geoff and 4 others like this.
  2. Pyro Nut

Pyro Nut Pro Firer/Crew

Having been to a few of these events I can quite safely say that these events are something out of the ordinary and even the most hardened of Pyros would find them worth a visit.

Pyro Pete and blackbat like this.
  3. ambientskies

ambientskies Pro Firer/Crew Supports UKFR

I have been to the Hastings one a few times, Street parade, big bonfire on the beach then fireworks, 10"+ & salutes, a good night out.

I met a few of the Hastings lot at Fallas this year, hopefully they will honour their drunken agreement of sticking the mother-in-law on the fire this year :)

4. forrest

forrest Pro Firer/Crew

Hastings is one of my favourite ones on the list. Have to agree with you that them Hastings lads and lasses like a drop or two be it home or at fallas lol

5. Cullann

Cullann Pro Firer/Crew

I would love to attend at least one of these....Are they all open to outsiders, or do you have to be 'local'?

6. gareth71

gareth71 Pro Firer/Crew

Lewes (the biggest of them all, where six different bonfire societies all hold their festivities in the town on the same night, 5th Nov) is these days actively discouraging 'tourists' from coming into the town on that night - but when it comes down to it, they can't really stop you, can they?

I spent a couple of years living just outside Lewes, and managed to get to a small number of bonfires over that time (one in Lewes, and a couple of the other small villages around and about), and they really are a hell of an experience. Well worth checking out if you're able to.

7. Went to three events last year, great times and well worth a visit, especially if you like loud fireworks.:)

8. Pyro Nut

Pyro Nut Pro Firer/Crew

Hastings was the first one we went to, it was a real eye opener! Enjoyed Lewes a couple of years back too. Did Rye last year which was good. The Sussex bonfire lot are verging on the insane by hey they don't half know how to put on good events!

9. blackbat

blackbat Pro Firer/Crew Supports UKFR

Nevill Juvenile in Lewes, a couple of weeks before the main event, is a good one if you have kids in tow ;)

10. Winjas73

Winjas73 Pro Firer/Crew

Mayfield tonight :)
    And whoever asked YES of course anyone is welcome, there in public streets etc, park up and enjoy the fun.

11. Venger

Venger Pro Firer/Crew

Went to Lewes about 3 or 4 times about 20 years ago...helluva experience :)

12. forrest

forrest Pro Firer/Crew

Fireworks from Mayfield last night.

13. forrest

forrest Pro Firer/Crew

Fireworks from Burgess Hill bonfire last night.

geoff and m00ny like this.
  14. m00ny

m00ny Celtic Stash Photo Winner 2015 Supports UKFR

Went there with a few friends, good display, loved the strobes and the ending :)

15. I have a spare night this Saturday and I am going to go to one of the three that are on, probably be Nothiam, but is the best one of the three to visit.?

16. Winjas73

Winjas73 Pro Firer/Crew

There all similar. But pyro wise id say Northiam be best display but then I'm probably a little bias, as I fire for Wizard.

Northiam will also be very traditional in small village with banger / cracker carts etc used in the procession.

17. Thanks I think it will be Northiam I will visit.:)

18. SwissTony

SwissTony Pro Firer/Crew

Not long to go now.
    Pallets all arrived today, ready for the bonfire build.
    Scaffold entrance is up and ready for sponsors banners.
    Looking forward to seeing what Wizard brings :)
    I will be doing the banger cart for the Northiam group, come say hello.
    I expect I will be at the bar or possibly the Thai food van once the firework gear is packed back on the van.

forrest likes this.
  19. forrest

forrest Pro Firer/Crew

Rotherfield for me on Saturday night. It's closer to home for me. Good luck for Saturday @SwissTony

SwissTony likes this.
  20. Shinobi

Shinobi Pro Firer/Crew

Eastbourne for me! I'll be marching with my bonfire society.