Fountain Tinsel Town

Discussion in 'Brothers Pyrotechnics' started by K9Girl, Oct 17, 2019.

1. K9Girl

K9Girl Tinsel Town Sales Reduction Ambassador Supports UKFR

Tinsel Town by Brothers

£19.99 RRP
    Should run 50 seconds, actually runs over 2 minutes.

I can't say anything positive really, over priced, over packaged, its a 200g conical stuck in a very large tube. It struggles to get going, the first I tried never started, despite numerous refusing. This one I filmed tonight, weak performance, and ran for over 2 minutes. Avoid, much better is available.

2. Would be nice in a selection box minus the over packaging

3. K9Girl

It that was in a box you'd be happy with it.....................

4. So the Zeus one Is a better choice!!

K9Girl likes this.
  5. K9Girl

Pidgey likes this.
  6. Whizzbang

Whizzbang Supports UKFR

It looks like an iron mix where someone forgot to coat the iron. Not what you’d hope for from Brothers.

K9Girl likes this.
  7. K9Girl

I'm going to open up the one that refuses to fire tomorrow, just out of curiosityo_O

Whizzbang likes this.
  8. Almost ordered this based on the stock video as it looks really good, your video along with another posted by a sponsor on here have made me very glad I didn't go for it.

K9Girl, Pidgey and hofnerite like this.
  9. Whizzbang

Whizzbang Supports UKFR

I’d be interested to see a photo. (Please)

10. K9Girl

Will do ;)

11. K9Girl

So, anyone any ideas as to why this wouldn’t fire? I have no idea what they should be like so have no idea, it’s a lot smaller than I was expecting though :confused: 82ADF295-9F64-4A59-9AD7-EDDD8D3A7758.jpeg

12. hofnerite

hofnerite UKFR Stash Photo 2018 Winner! Supports UKFR

Were there any little strips of loose blackmatch between the visco and the compressed powder?
    Some fountains either have a bit of looser powder (a different composition?) that the visco is buried into and some have a bit of blackmatch just so that it provides enough heat/flame to get going.

13. K9Girl

9F63201D-928B-44B6-98B4-AF7BD028B692.jpeg 42FAA911-AB1A-4DCE-91C1-B80126566CA5.jpeg Doesn’t seem to be. The hole is where I drilled, then put Visco and black match strands in it............... :cool:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    hofnerite likes this.
  14. Thats what she said :eek:

So not only was it over packaged its also got a massive plug in it!! Feel like alot of this wont sell this year!

K9Girl likes this.
  15. K9Girl

Sorry @hofnerite missed this before, no, no fusing of any type, I think I’m just gonna soak & throw these away.
    Has anyone had one that works as it should this year? :mad:

hofnerite likes this.
  16. hofnerite

hofnerite UKFR Stash Photo 2018 Winner! Supports UKFR

That's a shame. I had 4 BlackCat Copper fountains on my 'wheel' this year and they were very good, consistent and have the game affect as Tinsel Town so maybe a good replacement?

K9Girl likes this.
  17. K9Girl

Had the dog take care of a Tinsel Town, fountains were harmed in the making of this photo ;)
    DBCFA8BD-5F2D-4721-A75A-3B2666089BEC_1_201_a.jpeg

AlanCee29, Pyro Pete and Pidgey like this.
  18. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

For £20 these are way over-priced and the packaging is an insult BUT, the ones we tried worked similarly to yours except ours fired first time. Nothing to rave about but if they lost the window dressing and dropped the cost and worked on the composition a little more, these would actually be quite charming little pieces.

We are seeing an increased use of AP (ammonium perchlorate) based formulas in gerb type fountains these days. Low smoke and much longer burn times are possible as opposed to nitrate based fountain formulas. Hence why you see much less comp' than you'd expect to see there in your dissection. BP based cones are usually packed full and weigh loads more as a result.

I can't say for sure what the exact comp' here is but I would put money on AP oxidizer, high carbon steel filings/grindings and an additional fuel of something like a high oil content lampblack.

As stated by others they perform differently than the stock footage. Perhapse the stock video was shot soon after the cone was made and on the same site as the factory? This theory also supports Whizzbang's suggestion that the oxidizer, during storage and shipping, has gotten to the iron which can result in a much poorer performance as the metal has already partly oxidized. Looking at the inconsistent, flacid performance of these things, I'd be inclined to agree on this. They need to treat the metal with boiled linseed oil before incorporating it.

As for the miss fires. A priming issue perhapse or possibly just simply down to the fact the iron is pulling oxygen away from the AP and ruining the comp as stated above.

A real shame as they had such potential in the video.

Pyro Pete and K9Girl like this.
  19. K9Girl

Thanks for that, a great explanation for me ;)