What do you think?

Discussion in 'Fireworks Forum Chat And Discussion' started by K9Girl, Sep 13, 2020.

  1. K9Girl

    K9Girl Tinsel Town Sales Reduction Ambassador Supports UKFR

    Not sure if anyone on here is in anyway connected to Boom Fireworks Ltd in Manchester but this is a post they put up yesterday. :confused:

  2. where have they taken that from i wonder,they cannot have come up with that on there own
    K9Girl likes this.
  3. hofnerite

    hofnerite UKFR Stash Photo 2018 Winner! Supports UKFR

    I've seen councils say the same thing recently. Not sure if it has been changed but the fire service in one city had it printed on a poster last year.

    Probably a copy and paste job from Wikipedia or somewhere. As long as what he's selling is CE...
    K9Girl likes this.
  4. maxywell

    maxywell Supports UKFR

    Maybe it will be back to bs by next year... :D
  5. Pyro Pete

    Pyro Pete Forum Editor

    I've seen that before, here's a Standard Fireworks box I was photographing last week which is clearly CE (8m distance, CE logo, NEC shown, etc) and it uses the same term:

    Screenshot 2020-09-13 at 13.49.45.png

    The old BS was usually written as "BS7114: Part 2: 1998".
  6. K9Girl

    K9Girl Tinsel Town Sales Reduction Ambassador Supports UKFR

    Very confusing :confused:
  7. paul s

    paul s Supports UKFR

    BS En..... is simply the British Standards number for the EU’s EN standard. It is a British standard in exactly the same way BS 7114 was.

    To comply with the standard the firework has to carry a CE mark as a simple visible check. CE marking came about over 15 years ago and is to demonstrate a product meets EU compliance for HS & E and can therefore be traded freely within the EEA. Some standards in the UK still remain BS others are BS EN...

    After brexit we could simply drop the EN part of the standard’s number.
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    Fireworks Nick, K9Girl and zephieish like this.
  8. Yes. BS means it's issued by the control in the UK of the British Standards Institute which represents British interests under CEN. I think other countries will follow suit - Germany DIN for example
  9. paul s

    paul s Supports UKFR

    I had many many sleepless nights when CE first came about. Bringing machinery in from Japan, 20 years ago, which was not CE compliant (Machinery Directive) and trying to explain to the manufacturer what they had to do in terms of mod's before it could be imported.....:banghead: :censored: :banghead:

    "Why does it need a guard fitting......who would be stupid enough to put their hand in?" :deadhorse:
    Jon, RCT and Pidgey like this.
  10. Ha.

    Do not hold. Ejects stars and bangs.
  11. GTRpyro

    GTRpyro Pro Firer/Crew

    BS EN15947 is indeed correct, as is the CE mark. I believe to meet BS EN regs it must conform to CE testing and carry the mark. Thats the EN part.

    It is BS7114 that is now out of date.
    hofnerite likes this.
  12. scoops

    scoops Pro Firer/Crew

    Still happens today with some manufacturers, they just don't get that people are stupid and will put things where there not supposed to go.....
  13. danielpyronutter

    danielpyronutter Pro Firer/Crew Supports UKFR

    Yes I've noticed both regs on a lot of fireworks
  14. paul s

    paul s Supports UKFR

    To summarise:

    BS 7114 part 2 = not ‘legal’ to supply (inc foc)

    BS EN 15947 (only) = ditto

    BS EN 15947 + CE symbol = legal to supply
    Fireworks Nick and K9Girl like this.
  15. AF Pyro

    AF Pyro Pro Firer/Crew

    Fireworks in the UK currently need to comply with the UK version of the PYROTECHNIC ARTICLES (SAFETY) REGULATIONS 2015 (or 2010, depending when type approved). Note the "UK" part, which is important. The directive covers everything, including which technical standard the product must comply with (which is currently EN 15047) AND it states what product can be "placed on the market" in the UK. Therefore, putting EN 15947 on the packaging is optional and not a legal requirement. If the product carries the CE mark and a type approval number, then it is deemed that it complied with the technical standard in place at the time of type approval and batch testing. Therefore advising consumers that a product must comply with BS EN 15947 is secondary to the fact that it must comply with the PYROTECHNIC ARTICLES (SAFETY) REGULATIONS 2015 (or 2010).
  16. AF Pyro

    AF Pyro Pro Firer/Crew

    *Typo..EN 15947
    K9Girl likes this.
  17. If I'm reading this right, the point here is that there might be fireworks with meet the EU safety standard, but can't be sold in Britain due to specifically British regulations- is that correct? ie to be sold in Britian a firework needs to meet both the EU and British standards eg not be a banger, have a clear safety distance etc. And anything old that was before the EU testing came in is also illegal to sell as it hasn't been tested at the current legal EU regualtions? ie old stuff that is just BS etc.
    RCT likes this.
  18. paul s

    paul s Supports UKFR

    Technical standards such as BS is one control measure. There is other legislation that covers types of fireworks that can, or cannot, be sold in UK.....eg bangers, and further legislation controlling their use. I’ve all but lost touch with how many pieces of legislation pertain to fireworks in the UK. 4/5??
  19. AF Pyro

    AF Pyro Pro Firer/Crew

    In a nutshell, yes...thats right. There are "member state" variations to the core Directive, the UK's being the prohibition of certain items such as Air Bombs, Salutes, Mini Rockets, Bangers, etc. full details are in the Directive. So just because it carries a CE mark doesn't mean it can be sold to the public in the UK.
    SilberWirbel likes this.
  20. I'm please to see that Standard is still around as a brand. Back in the day it was always a good seller, as people saw it as a trusted brand. Obviously now part of Black Cat, although I think they still have offices in Huddersfield.