What size are the shells?

Discussion in 'Professional Fireworks' started by Caldari, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Caldari

Caldari Supports UKFR

Hi guys my local fireworks display team decided to add more shells last year and I was always interested to know what size they might be I was thinking 3,6,8 ?

Here is a small snippet of last year's can anyone tell me what's the range of sizes please

Below is the range of shells from 2-48

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    40NH likes this.
  2. 4", definitely not much bigger imho

Caldari likes this.
  3. Caldari

Caldari Supports UKFR

Thanks man it's just hard when you're there to judge for me anyway what size they may be. Some give a right thud as they take off but are not so big when up then others you don't hear but then fill all of the sky it's tricky for me as a newbie lol.

4. It tricky for the more experienced as well. :)

Caldari likes this.
  5. Caldari

Caldari Supports UKFR

I guess that's what makes it fun. When I go to see the displays I try to look out for cakes, shells or fireworks in general I may know but it's just when I am with my friend I say I think those are "these" shells so had to ask the question lol

6. Must admit i try to guess shell sizes at my local council displays as well although since i've never actually asked them i never know for sure. :D My very unscientific way of telling the difference apart from the obvious difference in burst size is that if i can feel the thump it's probably 6" plus, if not then it's likely 3-5".

Caldari likes this.
  7. Caldari

Caldari Supports UKFR

Yea some of those like the big low green and reds were real chest thumpers but the really high ones in the sky you never herd them fly up but you got a big bang when they did break I always thought they might of been bigger than 4 I thought there might of been a few 6s in there but I guess it's always hard to tell.

8. Dodgey

Dodgey Pro Firer/Crew

Mostly 3" with a few 4" (the white strobes are a good example of the 4")

You can tell by the size of the effect, but more importantly, the lift time, and the height relative to the cakes.

Caldari likes this.
  9. Caldari

Caldari Supports UKFR

Thank you man. So usally the higher the shell fired the bigger it is? Sometimes I think those big green stars were so loud and right in your face but then I guess that's the trick to make a smaller shell seem bigger than it is?

Jon likes this.
  10. Illusion Fireworks

Illusion Fireworks British Firework Champions 2018 UKFR Sponsor

Yep going by lift times and burst size nothing over 100mm

Caldari likes this.
  11. pyroplayer

pyroplayer Pro Firer/Crew Supports UKFR

Larger size doesn't always mean a harder break. It depends on the brand and the type of effect. E.g. a hard breaking 4inch peony vs 5inch strobe willow (softer break) As others have said, lift time and altitude is your best gauge.

Caldari likes this.
  12. Caldari

Caldari Supports UKFR

Thanks guys

13. Just to show the difficulty in guessing, going on lift time and burst height, what size is this?

Caldari likes this.
  14. Dodgey

Dodgey Pro Firer/Crew

LIft time/height is very consistent through sizes.

Do bear in mind some 4" shells burst like 5" shells. Peonies can fall into this category - especially if the manufacturer is a little flash-happy when making the bursting charge. I have some 4" like this and I have to bear this in mind when firing them. They are a truly WOW effect, but a wake up call if fired from 100m

Caldari likes this.
  15. Dodgey

Dodgey Pro Firer/Crew

Yeah but that's a multibreak cylinder shell. 99% of what UK viewers are going to see are spherical shells.

Caldari likes this.
  16. blackbat

blackbat Pro Firer/Crew Supports UKFR

8" ?

17. Pyro Ed

Pyro Ed Pro Firer/Crew

Check out 4min58 on the first video, its mostly out of shot, but I'd say that's more like 6inch.

Caldari likes this.
  18. Caldari

Caldari Supports UKFR

Wish someone recorded all of it on good a good camera I did it with a go pro session but the sound is crap and it didn't pick up the colours and flashes properly the show is 15-20 mins long.