Wilders Selection box

Discussion in 'Fireworks Nostalgia, Collectables And History' started by Sufjan1986, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

I foind 2 at one go a few years back, plus I've had at least one other that I can remember, all 5/- ones in mint condition...
    WILDERS BOXES368.jpg

2. So much more passion in the design back then, even the boxes!
    Did you find them with contents Kevin or just the box?

3. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

No chance of finding them with contents, not been that lucky yet.

4. I’d love to see another one go up to see if it fetches similar money. I think you’re right, a bidding war and you’re on. eBay can be fickle, but sometimes worth the gamble given a bigger audience.

5. TONYB

TONYB Supports UKFR

yes i purchased on american ebay a few years ago now also remember kevin having two of the same available

6. TONYB

TONYB Supports UKFR

should of seen kevins post :D

7. Richard Lane

Richard Lane Supports UKFR

Morning everybody....just woken up to all this about £875 for the Wilders box.
    I had one of the ones Kev had..(photo attached shared with a similar aged Brocks “Village Scene Bonfire Night)....one of my absolute favourites ever!
    I guess Wilders were always thought of as being a bit exotic in my youth..1950’s into early 60’s..and as we lived just south of Birmingham,where they were made ...they were not unusual for me to get.
    I remember one of their fireworks..it was called something like “Air Raid” and the defining detail was a fuse spout projecting out of the bottom of the case...dead good then! (Somebody found a photo of one of these and posted it on here recently).
    Kev’s absolutely right...it was a prime example of inordinately high pre placed ..”desperate and gotta have it” bids.You only need two of those and this is what happens.
    I have mixed feelings about this level of bids...on the one hand it’s good for the subject of the interest we all share in pyro but bad for the chance of everybody/anybody getting a chance of obtaining items like this.It really is a question of what the market demands. 4B398B3F-2951-47DD-B4BD-2E03C9F24296.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    Sparkler, TONYB, Pyro Ed and 4 others like this.
  8. Richard Lane

Interesting slant on BFN....the antis were at it then as wello_O

Done Fettling likes this.
  9. I got my 5/- box from Nick Samford about 15 years ago. Swapped it with a Lion board.

Attached Files:

10. I recently bought Wilders original explosives licence from his last remaining relative.
    B1E6AD2B-A378-48C7-8D00-FB3EF42D3ED7.jpeg

11. Vernon Wilder - the last family owner of Wilders Firework Company.
    47EB4982-EC4B-4B31-B193-2F0986AE1225.png

12. Richard Lane

I just love the fact that the doc has burnt edges....evidence of the company’s demise!!:eek:

Done Fettling and Repington like this.
  13. Richard Lane

I can. Just make out the firework I was alluding to in my previous post...in your photograph “Aircraft Signal” on LHS...

Repington likes this.
  14. When I go up to the house I’ll try and get a better photo of it.

Richard Lane likes this.
  15. Richard Lane

;).....thanks a lot..that’s great

Repington likes this.
  16. Mystic Juggler

Mystic Juggler Supports UKFR

During this year myself and escht went on a bit of a rampage through the internet trying to find out as much as we could about wilders, we both found some interesting stuff but you have one up on us meeting one of the relatives and getting the licence, lucky guy! Wilders are fireworks are the core of my collection hence the search. I would love to hear more about what you know.

Repington likes this.
  17. Mystic Juggler

Pretty sure i have posted this before but the aircraft signal calling all cars and crystal comet side lit examples are here in this picture. DSC_5924.JPG

18. Mystic Juggler

There appears to quite allot of the 5/ boxes about here's hoping can get one for my collection, Tony's box is the first of two then to come from the sates as there was one on ebay a couple of months ago . Must mean that wilders sold out to the sates as well as Australia.

Repington likes this.
  19. Incredible to see the factory license from 1879. There is precious little information on Wilders so, likewise, it would be great to see if you have gleaned any additional knowledge. Thanks very much.

Done Fettling and Repington like this.