YORKSHIRE FILM ARCHIVE

Discussion in 'Fireworks Nostalgia, Collectables And History' started by Clarenicky, Oct 29, 2018.

1. I don’t know if this has been covered before but there are some great archive bonfire night films in the above archive, some of which you can watch online.
    Here’s a link to one I’ve just watched, had to pause it to look at some intriguing fireworks including a “Cuban Carnival” which I’ve never heard of. Maybe Brittania or Excelsior looking at the design. Just put “fireworks” in the search and a few films are available to watch!
    http://www.yorkshirefilmarchive.com/film/family-films-please-remember-1948

2. 6F4309CA-4BDB-4995-B1F2-15345B7C3E7F.jpeg Just noticed the Scottish Salute among them in the film, they appear to be a selection of Wallop fireworks!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  3. Delly67

Delly67 Supports UKFR

H&S would have a fit if they saw this that happen today lol 1948 I think my Dad was still making his own fireworks.

4. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

Not seen these before, great find Chris.......... the 1952 coloured film one is a great ref. item..... even have an elusive Rising Sun in there..........

Clarenicky and standard steve like this.
  5. standard steve and Clarenicky like this.
  6. standard steve likes this.
  7. Jamie Thornton

Jamie Thornton Supports UKFR

Great find, very interesting, long before the H&S killjoys.

Thanks for sharing, great video.

Blue devil likes this.
  8. The good old days when you could light bangers and jumping jacks minus the whinging hassle of some bugger saying that their pet Cerberus has cowered under the couch and is scared to come out.

Rip Rap, pyro_man and TerenceFawkes like this.
  9. paul lennon

paul lennon Supports UKFR

Thank you indeed Clarenicky, these films are fabulous!

Clarenicky likes this.
  10. Sandling Fireworks

Sandling Fireworks Pro Firer/Crew

I had to laugh at the kids lighting sparklers in the house with a large pile of fireworks on the table! What could go wrong? The large jumping jack looks like a Standard one and was often included in their larger selection packs. They used to go off like a machine gun with rapid firing. The "elusive" Rising Sun was used in roadside hording adverts when Scottish Heritable took over the running of Standard, but ironically they stopped making that item the same year.

11. Arthur

Arthur Pro Firer/Crew

There was a time when indoor fireworks were considered OK! But that was when ceilings were 12ft and rooms 20 x 20 and people wore PPE naturally because of the cold and draughts and coal fires.

TerenceFawkes likes this.
  12. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

Quite a lot of these films are not available online though doing a quick search brings up quit a quantity of listed archived footage, only a select few are available to watch. Any ideas why this is? Have they just not gotten around to uploading them? Does one need to visit the WYA to view these in person?

13. I’m not sure, I noticed that also. I think it’s a case of those films not available but listed just haven’t been uploaded yet. I tried emailing them but got no response.

14. fozzboy

fozzboy Supports UKFR

I would love to see the old Standard TV advert ...